Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine Pairing Advice Needed- HELP!

In Durham you can't get cheap rabbit? Interesting. When I was living in DC rabbit was one of the cheapest meats I could buy. It was under $2 a pound. Here in MN they are expensive though. I guess it depends upon suppliers.

Good luck.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

$2 a pound?! Oh man, that would be awesome! Only place I've ever seen them is Whole Foods and they're the d'Artagnans. Also farmers market which is around the same price. I've got a few days to search, but I'm going to put together a backup plan.

Dang. $8 for a rabbit. That would be pretty awesome.

Wow. So I just want to say, for the record, that I am in awe of this forum! Not only of the amount of knowledge about all thing culinary, but also of the willingness for everyone to share. I've had a flood of PMs about this. I had one person who SCANS THEIR WINE PAIRING BOOK, so I can see what goes good with Pinot. I just read a PM all about heritage hogs that I might be able to find in the area and their taste profiles. More than I ever knew there was to know about the subject and I'm DYING to dive in and learn more. And finally a PM recommending good wallet-friendly rabbit substitutions!!!

You guys just blow me away. I'm humbled, I truly am. Sincere thanks! Not only am I well out of this rut, but I'm all fired up to test some ideas out. Whomever suggested the mushroom and balsamic ragu (yet another PM) I am TOTALLY trying that out!

You guys rock!

You're a man after my own heart loving rabbit and game meats.

A good veal chop is a great match but probably costs more than rabbit.

Duck is a good match. Duck ballotine -I can send two stuffing recipes- or roast it beer-can style. That'll get some crispy skin. I have a recipe for a phenomenal blackberry sauce, or else just make a port reduction with the drippings, garlic, shallots and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Wow. So I just want to say, for the record, that I am in awe of this forum! Not only of the amount of knowledge about all thing culinary, but also of the willingness for everyone to share. I've had a flood of PMs about this. I had one person who SCANS THEIR WINE PAIRING BOOK, so I can see what goes good with Pinot. I just read a PM all about heritage hogs that I might be able to find in the area and their taste profiles. More than I ever knew there was to know about the subject and I'm DYING to dive in and learn more. And finally a PM recommending good wallet-friendly rabbit substitutions!!!

You guys just blow me away. I'm humbled, I truly am. Sincere thanks! Not only am I well out of this rut, but I'm all fired up to test some ideas out. Whomever suggested the mushroom and balsamic ragu (yet another PM) I am TOTALLY trying that out!

You guys rock!
    What, these people can't post and share their wealth of knowledge with everyone!?

My first reaction to pinot is duck, but that is probably less budget concious than the rabbit. And I always lean toward duck...cause it rocks.

Or just let that sh!t turn to vinegar and make something useful out of it, and then pair your dinner with beer.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Hey All,

So I figured I'd post back to let you know what all went down. I ended up doing an easy appetizer plate of some cheeses and fresh baked bread and the last of our charcuterie attempts. For dinner was a slow roasted Berkshire picnic, sauteed mushrooms with balsamic reduction over creamy grits, and sauteed baby spinach at my wife's insistence (though I'd planned on roasted brussel sprouts w/ the last of our ittybitty shallots). Dessert was Sweet Potato Meringue pie.

But here's the kicker. We didn't open that friggin' bottle after all. The In-laws flat out refused. So we opened up some Turley Zins instead.

Sounds like a great dinner. You're lucky to have those Turley zins to open, no matter what the occasion!

Oh, they were great, don't get me wrong. A '07 Rattlesnake Ridge and an '07 Mead Ranch. But Turley zin is easy to pair. Turley Zin likes to go "Smash" so food just needs to smash back. Well, that, and we're on Turley's list, and we tend not to drink them when it's just us. The result is that we are over flowing in Turley.

Ben -

First the L'Aventure Optimus, now Turley??? My girlfriend and I were just up there this past weekend for the release party!

Looks like we probably like a lot of the same wines!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Do they do one in Napa as well or were you in Templeton? The in-laws are in San Luis, so Templeton and Paso are right around the corner, hence L'Aventure and Optimus.