New Shop - Finally

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
I started the move on 10/15 and the last load was moved on 10/26. It seemed as though it was never going to end and I was beginning the think I could never empty out the old shop. As I moved stuff I tried to set up tools and equipment but ran out of time and just concentrated on moving. The last few days have been spent just setting up and getting ready to go back to work. Early mornings and late nights have worn me out. But I am 95% complete and can start to get orders out the door again.

Some good points; I have three phase power available so I can get better equipment when I need it, the dust collector is in another room which has lessened the noise level considerably, I am not in a town so I don't need a business license, I am just 5 miles from home and the daily drive has been cut by half, I have lower ceilings and an insulated attic which will make this a warmer place that the last shop with its 16" high ceilings and the county tax rate is one of the lowest in the state. Even my dog seems to like this place better.

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

Congratulations! Looks like a very usable layout.

The floors alone would have sold me on the space. Hope you have a good run here David.

Wow, that seems like a fantastic fit for you!

What's the over/under on you replacing the floors in the next 2 years? lol

I'm happy for you. This really seems like a lot of good things came out of a crappy situation.

Looks great, inalteadybsee some wood shavings on the floor sonthat has to be a good sign.

Hi David,

Glad you have the move behind you!! Maybe there was a silver lining in that black cloud after all!! :wink:

Now back to work after all that work!!!

I don't know what that is, but I'm in for two.

That's a result of posting from a phone with low service and not checking to edit in the 15 min window... It should read: "I already see some wood shavings on the floor so that must be a good sign."

Looks good Dave! Are you still in Guilford, or in even cheaper Randolph?

Looks good Dave! Are you still in Guilford, or in even cheaper Randolph?

Randolph county. I am 15' away from the Archdale city limits and 200' from the High Point city limits which puts me about 100' inside Randolph county.

Dave - The wooden floors are easier on my feet and knees and I like the looks. And the dog can't sneak up on my anymore.

johndoughy - I hope the floors are set to last for a long while to come. The shop was used as a sewing shop making pillow for a while so the floors are soaked with sewing machine oil. Nothing sticks.

Jim - The layout is a lot like the last shop. I felt comfortable with that layout and decided to transfer it to the new shop. I did make some changes but nothing to severe.

Ratton - Back to work! I never stopped! I need a vacation.

BTW if anyone is in the area I would welcome a visit.

Congratulations on the new shop and getting everything set up so quickly!

Awesome! Does this mean you'll be doing knife blocks again, soon? ;)

Does this mean I can get my block soon? Have been waiting a long, long time.....

Glad to see a crummy situation turned out pretty good for you. Being kicked out of your last place isn't as bad now that you like the new one so much!

Very killer shop! I hope all the best for you, and will very soon be getting a board :)

I see you have the approval of the boss, seemed to get in a few shots :p

Dave, your new shop looks great! I had a dinner guest last night fall in love with the walnut/ maple board you made for me last year, so hopefully she will add to your backlog.

Back