My wife's knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Reaction score
Hey chummers,

I bought my wife a Sugimoto CM petty knife for her to use, but i feel she needs an upgrade. Some kind of santoku or gyuto that she could use everyday you know. Stainless and robust. No rusting and no chipping. Below 200 $ CAD and japanese. Possible ?

Gesshin stainless seemed to be first thought.

Thanks.

I'm in a similar boat (looking for a nicer Japanese stainless knife for my wife) and I've been eyeing the Misono UX10 180mm santoku. I know the Misono stainless lines aren't as highly recommended since the prices jumped, but you can still find good deals on some models. US Amazon is selling the santoku for $156 USD; they've got the 180mm gyuto for even less -- $148 USD. I think they're beautiful, and the fit and finish is excellent.

I'm in a similar boat (looking for a nicer Japanese stainless knife for my wife) and I've been eyeing the Misono UX10 180mm santoku. I know the Misono stainless lines aren't as highly recommended since the prices jumped, but you can still find good deals on some models. US Amazon is selling the santoku for $156 USD; they've got the 180mm gyuto for even less -- $148 USD. I think they're beautiful, and the fit and finish is excellent.

Hey thanks man! I'll look at that right now.

F&F indeed remarkable. Needs a good stone sharpening out of the box, though. Factory edge is weak and overly convexed by buffering. I start sharpening Misonos on a 400 stone. One more caveat: for right-handers only. Strongly asymmetric design. Sandvik's 19C27 provides a toothy kind of edge a lot of non-knifenuts do appreciate. And one of the very few truly elegant santokus IMHO.

I received the 180mm UX10 santoku as a wedding gift from a chef friend who described it as his favorite home knife.
Mine came with the Korin sharpening service and was good to go out of the box. I don't use it that much so the edge seems to last and last.
It is a sweet knife. Makes large veggies small with ease.

Yes to the right handed bias, but Korin have left bias knives if desired.

If left-handed, have an inverted version -- right side flat, left side convexed, edge off-centered to the right, logo on the left side. And no right-handed with a more or less neutral edge -- just asking for serious problems, later on.

My wife's current favorite knife is the Global G2. I've had mine for 15 years.

In fact they do chip, fresh out of the box. Not after some decent stone sharpening.
Next time you wish to correct me you will have to fill out a 20 page Wish To Advise form in triplicate 🤣

Got her a Kiyomitsu VG-1
Santoku for now. What do you think about it ?

That is a decent purchase. A kitchen knife as a gift for the uninitiated should not exceed a couple 100 bucks. Any knife I gift I find I have to sharpen myself periodically.

Back