Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White #2 vs Blue #2

White #2 vs Blue #2

Pros and cons?

What if someone at factory put wrong labels and instead of blue 2 knife you got white? Would you notice if the knife was sharp and cut like you wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    What if someone at factory put wrong labels and instead of blue 2 knife you got white? Would you notice if the knife was sharp and cut like you wanted?
    Well now I really feel educated - thanks a lot for a fine fine answer

Quote Originally Posted by Peco View Post
    Pros and cons?
    The properties of each are really so close that it's hard to tell in real world use. I have two Carter gyutos, one in white, one in blue, and the only way I can tell between them is the 'S' or 'W' stamped on the blade.

Blue is more expensive, and has a reputation for better edge retention, while white is reportedly easier to get a good edge on.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The properties of each are really so close that it's hard to tell in real world use. I have two Carter gyutos, one in white, one in blue, and the only way I can tell between them is the 'S' or 'W' stamped on the blade.

Blue is more expensive, and has a reputation for better edge retention, while white is reportedly easier to get a good edge on.
    Thanks ... Is one of them more reactive than the other - which is easiest to maintain - if any?

technically blue should be less reactive than white, but the core steel is rarely the problem... cladding is usually the most reactive

Im not sure you ever will feel the difference

Ao-Ko II: Takes very fine edge, and holds it long time. Easy to sharpen. Less wear resistant than Ao-Ko I, but more tough.
    Shiro-Ko II or Shiro-ni-ko (Shirogami): Very good edge holding and takes a crazy sharp edge. I felt Haralds Shiro-Ko 3, and it was insane. Easy to sharpen.

Many pro-users prefer to own Shiro-Ko II blades because of its good characteristic " Ease of resharpening" (easier to make sharp edge in the sharpening process), however some claim to have Ao-Ko II which will definitely outperform Shirogami

Cons: You will destroy your blade if you don't baby it. And thats the reason why I love sanmai, with carbon hagane and stainless jigane.

Great answer, thanks Ø.

Jon, thanks.

I have
    - white #1 (carter)
    - white #2 (tojiro)
    -white "spicy' (shige)
    - blue "super" (carter)
    - blue #2 (mizuno)

In addition to the above comments i can add that blue #2/super is also maybe a hair tougher/ more chip resistant (although that could also be the temper). Also, it seems that although blue is even less reactive, it takes a darker colored patina when it does react.

shigefusa is not white steel... its a Swedish carbon steel, but i like the white "Spicy" description

The truth of steels like this is that you will see more of a difference between different makers heat treatments than most people will feel between different steels. Find a maker that does a steel well is the best advise i can give. There are differences though and there are people out there who can feel them. Will it matter for most people? Not so much.