Quantcast
recommend a good chinese cook book
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recommend a good chinese cook book

recommend a good chinese cook book

Hey guys. Well I've been a long fan of Chinese cooking (although lately not so much with work) but I have a few Martin Yan cook books, which are good don't get me wrong, but I feel that I don't not, there kind of missing something almost. I'm sure that they are a little more geared towards the American taste, so I've come a calling to see what other books you guys can recommend, especially one with really good authentic sauces. (If one such is out there that is) Thanks again all.

The breath of a wok
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

I've used Eileen Fei Lo's Chinese Kitchen a few times and it's been pretty good. Overall when I go through it the recipes sound about right. I've only used it for Cantonese recipes. Though it's been a while since I've used it, I think it focuses on Cantonese recipes anyways.

If you like Sichuan food, Fuschia Dunlop's Land of Plenty is a must-have. Great read, good selection of recipes in it, and the ones I've tried were really nice.
    Len

I think this one is mostly seafood.

OK, I'm easily amused.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

One I recently aquired and looks pretty good is The Complete Asian Cookbook.
    --
    Joe

Whats a good book for those interested in, and knowing good chinese taste, but need a course on the basics. What's a good book to get into chinese food in a thorough way?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Whats a good book for those interested in, and knowing good chinese taste, but need a course on the basics. What's a good book to get into chinese food in a thorough way?
    I saw the show to this book awhile ago and I found it quite nice. http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Food-M...309334&sr=8-16

I would recommend any of Grace Young's books Stir-frying to the sky's edge or Breath of a Wok,love both.Also Jeffrey Alford & Naomi Daguid's book Beyond the Great Wall.

I also enjoyed Breath of a Wok, I have not really looked for another book in that cuisine sinse getting it.

Breath of a Wok is a good book. It's a great source for information, some good story telling too. I think my only criticism would be the constant use of cornstarch; I don't feel it's needed everywhere she has it in recipes.

+ Reply to Thread