Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Commission WIP

Are you saying that the spine distal taper doesnít match the edge distal taper?

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Not trying to ruffle feathers, I just like a thin, thin tip, and it seems this grind leaves a bit of meat behind the shallow grind at the tip. Maybe the heavy distal taper makes the tip thin enough on it's own. Guess it's hard to judge without actually having it on a board...if you need my address...
    I'm sure Kip can quote you some measurements, but I'm sure the tip is very thin. I'm pretty sure that what you're seeing is an optical illusion from the horizontal sanding lines against the vertical grinding lines.

Edited to add: If you look at the first pic of the spine, it's clear that the tip is very thin.

The knife is on it's way to Labor now, so unfortunately I cant post any measurements.

But really, I love this kind conversation! We're all here to take a closer look at the pros and cons of any specific grind. I have no doubt there are negatives to the one in this thread - but once you can see the positives, they really are quite beautiful.

Take a look at two options for wide bevel gyutos against the strange Kato type grind (in the style of milkbaby's diagram), and you can see its possible to get a thinner tip with a consistent angle:

No taper - consistent bevel angle:

Tapered - inconsistent bevel angle:

Tapered - consistant bevel angle:

And heck, it even follows a wide bevel to a perfect 50/50 ratio along the entirety of its length.

But this only works if you have a spine that tapers off into nothing, which turns out to have a few advantages and disadvantages of its own.
    I might get into more of that later.
    There's a bird on your shoulder.

Can't wait to hear Labor's thought on this beauty

Pretty sick diagrams! That is exactly what I was envisioning. Definitely interesting. Thanks.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

This knife was waiting for me when I arrived home from work this evening. Havenít used it yet but I will definitely put it to use over the next 3 days.
    Iím really conflicted as to how I should describe my initial impressions. Part of me wants to downplay how great this knife appears ootb in all the areas that matter. But also I want to rave about this guy.
    Initially I was thinking US pass around for this blade but now that seems hard to fathom as the grind really is quite thin and frankly I donít think Iíll be in the mood to be without it(sorry kippington). No chop, if youíre still curious about this knife PM me.

Sounds great so far, the knife looked slick in pics for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    This knife was waiting for me when I arrived home from work this evening. Havenít used it yet but I will definitely put it to use over the next 3 days because Iím working 3 doubles in a row.
    Iím really conflicted as to how I should describe my initial impressions. Part of me wants to downplay how great this knife appears ootb in all the areas that matter and the other part of me doesnít want to hype kippingtons work only so I can keep this guy all to myself for future work.
    Initially I was thinking US pass around for this blade but now that seems hard to fathom as the grind really is quite thin and quite frankly I donít think Iíll be in the mood to be without it(sorry kippington). No chop, if youíre still curious about this knife PM me.

The Kato grind always makes me think of a filing jig. Imagine a filing jig with a not too long file. If the knife is clamped in only once, you get the steepest angle and the smallest bevel in the middle. Closer to the ends of the knife the file has a longer stroke and the bevel angle gets smaller, bevel grows wider. You can get the same effect grinding on a wheel as well if you keep the knife clamped in the middle and then connected to a pivot some distance away. It seems more a shape that arises out of practicality rather than being some optimum for whatever.

I believe you're referring to a common misconception about filing/sharpening jigs.
    This statement is incorrect:

Quote Originally Posted by merlijny2k View Post
    Imagine a filing jig with a not too long file. If the knife is clamped in only once, you get the steepest angle and the smallest bevel in the middle. Closer to the ends of the knife the file has a longer stroke and the bevel angle gets smaller, bevel grows wider.
    If you are talking about the increasing distance between the pivot and the file/bevel contact point, the angle stays consistent regardless of that length.
    The belly of the knife will cause a change in angle, but if you are working on the flat of the knife there won't be a steeper angle or smaller bevel in the middle. It's just a little trick that your mind is playing on you.

Regardless, neither myself nor Kato use this kind of jig.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Initially I was thinking US pass around for this blade but now that seems hard to fathom as the grind really is quite thin and frankly I donít think Iíll be in the mood to be without it(sorry kippington).
    Thats all good, I totally understand why you wouldn't want anyone to touch a knife that's thin behind the edge. So many things can go wrong!
    Looking forward to your thoughts!
    There's a bird on your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippington View Post
    I believe you're referring to a common misconception about filing/sharpening jigs.
    This statement is incorrect:

If you are talking about the increasing distance between the pivot and the file/bevel contact point, the angle stays consistent regardless of that length.
    The belly of the knife will cause a change in angle, but if you are working on the flat of the knife there won't be a steeper angle or smaller bevel in the middle. It's just a little trick that your mind is playing on you.

Regardless, neither myself nor Kato use this kind of jig.

Thats all good, I totally understand why you wouldn't want anyone to touch a knife that's thin behind the edge. So many things can go wrong!
    Looking forward to your thoughts!
    Hmm if it's a mind trick i got to make some time to finish building that jig, do some CAD hours and figure out how i got this tricked.