Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Commission WIP

Haha, I wonít stop harassing him until I get atleast one more knife from him. Itís his own fault for making a great knife and being super cool to communicate with.
    I donít know if anyone else has noticed what with all the diagrams heís shared on this thread and a few others but he clearly has put a lot of thought into his work and it shows in the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    And pics... where are the pics!!!
    Will do. I really regret not taking pics of the ootb mirror finish. After 5 shifts patina is slowly setting in. But Iíve been using it for a spinalis special so itís building some nice blue streaks towards the tip. Also fingerprint patina.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Haha, I wonít stop harassing him until I get atleast one more knife from him. Itís his own fault for making a great knife and being super cool to communicate with.
    I donít know if anyone else has noticed what with all the diagrams heís shared on this thread and a few others but he clearly has put a lot of thought into his work and it shows in the final product.
    I'm still waiting on a pm with a price. Hint hint, nudge nudge. Haha

To be honest Iím trying to hold off on a review for another week. Ginrei should arrive any day now and I was thinking about doing a review of both knives together. Maybe a little compare and contrast.

malexthekid, the thing with trig is that we need to be careful how we apply a two-dimensional plane to a three-dimensional shape. It has been done incorrectly a couple of times in this thread already!

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    if your run increases without your rise increasing you get a change in angle....

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    I think the angle to which the 'rise' and 'run' correspond is not the angle of the bevel. It's the angle from the center point of the jig to the edge of the file. The angle of the bevel is in a different plane / axis.
    Bang on target!

-

In other news, I've finally received some new metal from my steel supplier today! Sorry to everyone that has asked me for a knife, I'll be able to make some more soon!
    There's a bird on your shoulder.

What sort of steel is it, Kipp?
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kippington View Post
    malexthekid, the thing with trig is that we need to be careful how we apply a two-dimensional plane to a three-dimensional shape. It has been done incorrectly a couple of times in this thread already!

Bang on target!

-

In other news, I've finally received some new metal from my steel supplier today! Sorry to everyone that has asked me for a knife, I'll be able to make some more soon!
    I think I am just confusing (or visualizing properly) the mechanism.... cause I know I am right in exactly how i am thinking.... but also can't figure you are wrong.

And does that mean I should be sitting idly with my phone waiting for a PM? 😁😉

malexthekid, I will send you a PM now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    What sort of steel is it, Kipp?
    It is 1095. As an interesting side-note I looked into the exact composition of this batch of 1095 (according to the website I bought it from), and it almost falls within the tolerances of Hitatchi White #2 according to the zKnives website.
    Here are their compositions, including the W2 steel I used for the knife in this thread for comparison:

-- AISI 1095| White#2 | AISI W2
    C: . 0.960 .|. 1.050 .|. 0.916
    Si:. 0.230 .|. 0.200 .|. 0.296
    Mn:. 0.350 .|. 0.300 .|. 0.215
    P: . 0.009 .|. 0.025 .|. 0.005
    S: . 0.003 .|. 0.004 .|. 0.002
    Cr:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.069
    Ni:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.042
    Mo:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.008
    V: . .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.165
    W: . .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.005
    Cu:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.047
    Sn:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.006
    Al:. .N/A. .|. .N/A. .|. 0.006

It seems my 1095 is extremely similar to Hitachi White #2 ... as far as I can tell anyway - I didn't put a lot of effort into researching this!

There's a bird on your shoulder.