Meat was falling out of the sky! Big bird hunting.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
Oh boy. I’m thinking Thai beef salad at this point. We just hit the limit on sandhill crane. Best migratory bird hunt of my life. It was so much fun.

We drove to Lubbock to check it out.

I wish I could post up a pic.

Send me a pic, I'll figure how to post it.

Keep hearing about crane hunting but have not been. Gotta change that.

Sandhill Cranes are excellent eating. All dark meat which is a plus for me. I wish we had a season for them in Wisconsin, I see a lot of them out when I am Turkey hunting. Happy eating.

finally home!!

no deer meat. we all missed our shots..which is rare. i for one, am glad to be home.

My uncle just shot over 40 Danish wild geese on a hunt at his property. Gonna have lots of goose for Christmas.

Had to do a quick Google search to see if this was that "super endangered crane". Good thing I'm not a hunter, if I can't remember the difference between a Whooping Crane and a Sandhill crane.

ahah..whopping cranes are super obviously different.

besides anywhere whooping cranes are present..zero crane hunting is allowed anyways.

but thanks for checking..even without my pics. (how would you know?)

A pretty good rule of thumb is that the birds, ducks, geese, that are flying right over you are the ones with the closed season. Legal birds fly over the other guys....[emoji41]

A pretty good rule of thumb is that the birds, ducks, geese, that are flying right over you are the ones with the closed season. Legal birds fly over the other guys....[emoji41]

true!!

plus hunting is full of responsibilities..just not ID'ing the legal crane. there's shooting males only, with Spring Turkey. in NM i only buy the Mule deer tag, so the local white tail are off limits...etc.

if you're gonna hunt, you cannot be an idiot. i remember hunting ducks on a point system. you had 100 points. with different birds equaling different points. you could only total up to 100 points. that's MATH!! it was ridiculous.

ahah..whopping cranes are super obviously different.

besides anywhere whooping cranes are present..zero crane hunting is allowed anyways.

but thanks for checking..even without my pics. (how would you know?)

Haha oh no! I didn't think you were here gloating about blasting a bunch of birds illegally. I just wondered if maybe the population had just taken a sudden and drastic turn for the better.

Hope they're good eating!

true!!

plus hunting is full of responsibilities..just not ID'ing the legal crane. there's shooting males only, with Spring Turkey. in NM i only buy the Mule deer tag, so the local white tail are off limits...etc.

if you're gonna hunt, you cannot be an idiot. i remember hunting ducks on a point system. you had 100 points. with different birds equaling different points. you could only total up to 100 points. that's MATH!! it was ridiculous.

To be honest, the hunters I've met have been some of the most ecologically focused people I've known- actually caring about animal populations and all the things that affect it. I knew a kid in high school that loved to deer hunt- but purposely wouldn't shoot for the first week or so because he just liked sitting in nature. Up at 4am, sitting in a tree stand freezing cold, trying not to make noise..

I love some good deer back straps.. but that's too much nature for me.

Huuuuuuuuge +1, hunters and anglers do so much for conservation and get very little credit from non-hunters due to misconception that we only shoot at stuff and nothing else.
All hunters and anglers I know place conservation first and filling tags second. That said, I've read many horror stories about poachers in the area where I live and it's appalling and disgusting.

I once was once discussing Coyote hunting at a friend's place when someone (a non-hunter) tried to guilt trip us into feeling bad about it, his reasoning was that coyotes are endangered or somehow in decline....we had to spend an hour factually demonstrating that there are in fact more coyotes in North America today than there were before the Mayflower arrived.

Oh well, it's part of the gig I guess. I feel that more people should experience the outdoors in this way. It's a connection to nature lost on too many today.

Bless the Vegan that can stand behind their beliefs and not eat meat..

i get it. that takes commitment and strength. mad respect for them. i've debated with them..we agree to disagree for the most part.

as a meat person, i wanted to see and feel where meat came from. so i started hunting. it is not cost effective, it is not easy. (my friends joke that i hunt like a vegan). i follow every rule to a T. if i messed up, i would turn myself in. no question. arguing with a anti-hunter meat eater, makes my head hurt.

the sandhill crane; there might be billions of them. mankind changed that animal with our agriculture. the big food fields they visit provided food to the point the population exploded..the flight patterns of today, were different back before the big milo and corn fields showed up. they changed nature.

oh boy, they are tasty. i'm finding it difficult to thaw breast to cook. i only have six left. :(

Bless the Vegan that can stand behind their beliefs and not eat meat..

i get it. that takes commitment and strength. mad respect for them. i've debated with them..we agree to disagree for the most part.

as a meat person, i wanted to see and feel where meat came from. so i started hunting. it is not cost effective, it is not easy. (my friends joke that i hunt like a vegan). i follow every rule to a T. if i messed up, i would turn myself in. no question. arguing with a anti-hunter meat eater, makes my head hurt.

the sandhill crane; there might be billions of them. mankind changed that animal with our agriculture. the big food fields they visit provided food to the point the population exploded..the flight patterns of today, were different back before the big milo and corn fields showed up. they changed nature.

oh boy, they are tasty. i'm finding it difficult to thaw breast to cook. i only have six left. :(

Yeah- no matter how much a Vegan tells me they don't miss meat, I just couldn't fathom making the switch. Steak.. burgers.. pulled pork sandwiches.. or even just a good chicken breast. Couldn't ever give them up.

Back