Quantcast
Gesshin 400 and 4000 BACK IN STOCK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gesshin 400 and 4000 BACK IN STOCK

Gesshin 400 and 4000 BACK IN STOCK

Gesshin 400 and 4000 Grit Stones are BACK IN STOCK!!! Sorry to all of you who have been waiting. The 2000 Grit stones are still being made, but will hopefully be done soon.

You can find them here:
    Gesshin Toishi

I don't recall how long I've had a Gesshin 400x (maybe 8 months?) but I do know that it hasn't left my bucket since it's arrival. I hate most coarse stones but I'm sold on this stone, it's a must have.

agreed
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

How would you compare or fit this in with the Beston 500?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Sorry, I guess I saw Dave's comment immediately before, so I was thinking of him, but I am sure you have used both stones. All opines welcome.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

well, i can leave this for other people for now and i can chime in later if you're still interested... sound good?

That's fine. I love the 4000k gesshin, and it is one of my favorite stones, but I don't use the coarser stones as much. However, I will likely be thinning some blades in the next couple months and I am curious.

k.

The Gesshin 400 cuts faster, feels smoother, and leaves a better finish than the Beston 500.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    How would you compare or fit this in with the Beston 500?

k.

The Beston wears slower than the Gesshin by a good bit but it doesn't cut as fast as the Gesshin does. Even though the Gesshin wears pretty fast it's not too fast because it cuts faster than it wears. I find that if I lap it frequently the dishing isn't a concern for me.

Since I've got the Gesshin 400x I've had days where I thought I'd be saying goodbye to the Beston 500x since it does some things (like flattening blade roads) a lot better but then I come across a knife (like a Hiro AS) that asks me to grab the Beston. I seem to go back and forth but I'd give a nod to the Gesshin as getting more work from me. I also keep a pink brick 220x (emergency use only) & Chosera 400x in the bucket as well but I can honestly say that the Chosera hasn't been used but for one time only since I've got the Gesshin. I still use the 220x here & there as needed.

I need an assortment of coarse stones but the Gesshin 400x could be the only one that most people probably would ever need. Even if you already have a Beston I'm pretty sure that adding a Gesshin in won't be a disappointment. Plus it feels pretty good too.