First Natural Stone (to use after Chosera 3000 for finishing & polishing)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jljohn

Reaction score
I have been using a 400-1000-3000 Chosera sequence, and I'd like to get a natural stone for two purposes: (1) finishing White and Blue steel Japanese kitchen knives, and (2) polishing the knife after thinning (removing the scratches left from the Chosera 3000.) The first is more important than the second, but will one stone do both of these well? Is there an economically-priced stone that would do this? (i.e. not $500+! Frankly, I'd love something in the sub $300 range.) Thanks so much!

I just received an awesome Shobu finishing stone from Shinichi Watanabe as a gift that I use for my White Steel #1 chisels and it removes scratches and polishes very well. It doesn't produce a high gloss polish but a misty polish. If I were you I'd contact him and ask him if he has something lying around for you. Another option is my favourite synthetic stone, the Sigma Select II 6000, which will remove the 3000 grit scratches very quickly. It works a treat on hard steel and it produces a nice contrast between the hard core and soft cladding.

Take a look at the Ohira Tomae at JNS. Not too soft and not too hard but fast and fine. Hard enough that you can but do not have to use a nagura. Leaves a good but light cosmetic finish and a wonderful edge with just enough bite. Under your budget but close to the top end.

You could look at the Takashima Koppa that Sin has right now, good price. These are soft, fine and fun to use but not so fast. Fast enough to follow a 3k, though.

Jon has some nice Oouchi and Hideriyama well below your budget. These are medium hard, medium speed and leave a good finish at the edge and for contrast. I prefer the edge off of my Ouuchi but the kasumi from my hideriyama.

So many good choices for $200-300 if you look at thinner or oddly shaped stones. :)

However, my top pick is Ohira Asagi. Fast, fine, fun and not overly expensive. I have had three and loved every one of them.

Kit on the money again. And you'd have change to put towards your next one.

And your next one.

And your next one.

My opinion here isn’t worth much as I’m a jnat noob but I will say oouchi has served me well so far. It’s easy to use, the large version is pretty wide and the sides are lacquered. I jump from a 3-4k stone to oouchi and can achieve nice finish and edge pretty quickly, and I hardly even know what I’m doing.

You don't really have to go the Jnat route either. There are a lot of great synthetics that will accomplish your sharpening goal and give you great edges with abundant tactile feedback. For finishing after thinning you can use sandpaper. It is far less costly than Jnats and you'll be able to get a variety of finishes that a single stone can't produce.

Take a look at the Ohira Tomae at JNS. Not too soft and not too hard but fast and fine. Hard enough that you can but do not have to use a nagura. Leaves a good but light cosmetic finish and a wonderful edge with just enough bite. Under your budget but close to the top end.

You could look at the Takashima Koppa that Sin has right now, good price. These are soft, fine and fun to use but not so fast. Fast enough to follow a 3k, though.

Jon has some nice Oouchi and Hideriyama well below your budget. These are medium hard, medium speed and leave a good finish at the edge and for contrast. I prefer the edge off of my Ouuchi but the kasumi from my hideriyama.

So many good choices for $200-300 if you look at thinner or oddly shaped stones. :)

However, my top pick is Ohira Asagi. Fast, fine, fun and not overly expensive. I have had three and loved every one of them.
Kit, good info .... I just bought that Takashima Kiita Koppa from Shin the other day and I finally got to use it on Thursday. You're very correct, nice and soft, easy and fun to use and very silky feeling. Also brings out a great edge, I was very happy with that purchase. I would definitely second your recommendation if someone was looking for a good J-nat to learn on

Back