Hard Jnats - to seal or not to seal?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I couldn’t find anything about this on previous posts, but feel free to point out anything related.

I recently got an Ohira Suita from nutmeg (#16 on his BST sale) and I’m unsure if I should seal it or not.

It’s hard, about HS57-59 according to his estimate, and doesn’t seem to absorb much water. Doesn’t have any visible cracks, only the lines that are usual in Ohira suitas.

I believe the usual practice is to seal every Jnat, but I have seen some people leaving harder suitas unsealed. I prefer the look and feel of unsealed stones, but of course keeping the stone intact is the priority. What’s should I do?

Thank’s

I seal all of them, even choseras lol.

Agree, seal em up. I even seal the tops and sides of my Nagura. Clear acrylic fingernail polish works great. Cashew oil is the tradition.

Water will break down anything over time. You probably don’t need to seal every stone but it is a good precaution.

Agree, seal em up. I even seal the tops and sides of my Nagura. Clear acrylic fingernail polish works great. Cashew oil is the tradition.

I think you mean cashew lacquer. Cashew lacquer is semi-synthetic and not actually traditional. That would be Urushi. Cashew lacquer seems to have supplanted Urushi for such purposes for several reasons. Mostly because it is just easier to work with.

I know it isn't traditional, but I use spray lacquer. It is easy to use, dries fast, inexpensive, and works great. I can do 3 coats in an hour on a warm day.

I know it isn't traditional, but I use spray lacquer. It is easy to use, dries fast, inexpensive, and works great. I can do 3 coats in an hour on a warm day.

Yeah. It is good stuff. I did have problems with one particular formulation that I didn't realize contained wax before it was too late. I've also done some experiments with water-based furniture clear coats. Seem to work pretty well too.

This is what I use. I get it from McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com) I can do 3 coats on probably 12-15 stones with 1 can. Works out to about $1 / stone
KVkRvqz.jpg

Sorry to hijack, but has anyone experienced softer stones absorbing sealant? I was sealing a hakka with some cashew laquer the other day, and the first coat or two seemed to abosorb into the stone. Never noticed that before even with some softer stones.

Sorry to hijack, but has anyone experienced softer stones absorbing sealant? I was sealing a hakka with some cashew laquer the other day, and the first coat or two seemed to abosorb into the stone. Never noticed that before even with some softer stones.

I have definitely seen it being problematic with synthetic products made for penetrating/waterproofing applications. I have some pretty soft stones lacquered with cashew and I've never had an issue. I think you should be ok.

Did you use Shellac? It is naturally waxy. I've never heard of a lacquer with wax, (but there's a lot I've never heard. Just trying to learn here.)

You know, that is a good point. There are lacquers that completely synthetic and even some made using de-waxed and non de-waxed shellac. I can't remember the product details well enough other than to say it was a lacquer spray. I've been reading labels a lot closer since though ;)

Yup, actually meant to photograph it on an aka pin I am busy sealing. But yeah, it's definitely a thing with the less viscous brand of lacquer I've been using of late

Shellac spray is wax free and works just fine. As for porosity, yeah I have a very soft Amakusa that wouldn't quit taking the lacquer! Took like 15 coats over 3 days to seal that beast. I have been using it for over a year now and have eaten 3-4mm off the top and there seems to be no issues. So I don't think the absorption will be an issue.

Back