10 year airgun project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessf

Reaction score
I have finaly finished this airgun project after having started it nearly 10 years ago. Guns are afterall knives with more moving parts.

Phase 1 began in 2008 and included buying a BAM 50 0.22cal PCP and making a new stock.

I drew the stock in autocad then printed out a full sized copy and went wood shopping. This chunk of 2" chick black walnut fut the bill.
cuDG9m.jpg

rqncQm.jpg

F66Ayd.jpg

LF5emM.jpg

xYV1Uv.jpg

shoulder plate is indonesian rosewood. I drew the fish scale in autocad then printed the designs onto transparent adhesive sheets. Other fish scale and oakleaf relief carving decorates the stock while adding decent grip.
9n1k5o.jpg

fVmHHt.jpg

trigger guard
Lr2uDD.jpg

WEu02o.jpg

q1WvCf.jpg

RssRxG.jpg

Phase 1 took 3 months.

Phase 2 began in 2010 and included designing a new breech and hardware then having it machined. This breech is taller than the original which allows me to install a new lothar walther barrel. This means I had to have custom barrel supports machined as well. I designed these parts in autocad then had them cut on a CNC waterjet. There once was a time when I'd try cutting these by hand but ain't nobody got time for that.
hGqZts.jpg

dPKEqC.jpg

larger area to insert the heavy 32gr pellets I plan on shooting out of this thing.
Zw5Fio.jpg

because the breech is taller, the normal means of cocking the hammer no longer work. so i had to have a slot machined into the side of the main body to accept a deticated hammer knob.
hde5Kn.jpg

XVUisc.jpg

qeMSN9.jpg

Phase 2 took about a month to design and a week at the CNC waterjet.

My interest in knife making rekindled this project. Phase 3, started in 2017, a few months back. I started by cleaning and cold bluing the breech and barrel and polishing the brass.
Ed8WFT.jpeg

A3Fdce.jpeg

dcsBfM.jpeg

LS1mMe.jpeg

ve3N2Y.jpeg

I didn't like the bolt handle from 2010 so I spun these in the drill press and used a file to shape them. A dremel cutoff wheel in the drill press on high speed can be used to create a routered groove in each part.
95naJN.jpeg

F8oC0x.jpeg

UobU7d.jpeg

ZKM7LD.jpg

rheRah.jpg

n6dOIu.jpg

Phase 3 took a few days.

Wow, that's a ton of work! Can't argue with the results tho: AWESOME :doublethumbsup:

every once in a while I get the urge to create a muzzle loading big bore. I've always been interested in creating something similar to the air rifle Louis and Clark carried to the new world.
https://youtu.be/-pqFyKh-rUI

I need to replace all the set crews with custom brass slotted screws then grind them flush. Testing is tricky now that the cold weather has rolled in. With the longer barrel it should push the 32gr pellets at around 1200 fps (yes i have a PAL). I will likely tune that down to subsonic for more shots per fill. Or i may add a second notch to the hammer for a high power and low power setting.

In our world of increasing automation in manufacturing, I am in awe when an individual has the skill to make something this complex. It gets elevated to a whole nuther level when it is functional beauty as well.

Very nice!

Incredible work. What's the propellant? Do you use CO2 cartridges or is it pump or what?

Incredible work. What's the propellant? Do you use CO2 cartridges or is it pump or what?
It’s referred to as a PCP or pre-charged pneumatic. The big cylinder on the bottom is filled with 3000psi of compressed air. You can fill with either a scuba tank or Hill pump which looks like a fancy bicycle tire pump. Might be good for 10 good shots before the velocity drops off and you need to fill it back up.

Back