Hi from central VA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm Ron and am a 70 YO retiree who has had a keen interest in knives since I was 6 YO, (and I have the scars to prove it... :laugh: ). My dad gave me my first knife when I was 6, and I have carried a pocket knife daily since. Yes - all through school and college, and not once during those years did I stab anyone. :D

My dad also taught me how to sharpen knives, and I have since learned how to sharpen woodworking tools and anything around the house that has an edge. Over the years I used stones, several sharpening systems, and I now use Spyderco rods. I am able to get great results, but I am wondering if I can do better.

I am considering buying my first Japanese knife and am bewildered by the vast number of options in styles, lengths, steels, and handles. So I am going to fill out the questionnaire and post a formal request for guidance.

Thanx for allowing me to join ~ Ron

Where in central VA? You near Richmond, or a more over near Charlottesville?

A couple people from the Richmond area have joined KKF here recently, but I am not sure if there are any/many more tot he west in VA. As Bill said, watch for a gathering in the spring time up in Nova (The East Coast Gathering/ ECG).

Thanx all for the welcomes. I just checked, and obviously I can now reply and post new threads. :biggrin: And you have no idea what you are in for... :justkidding:

I'm going to fill out the questionnaire about getting my first Japanese knife and post in the appropriate forum ~ Ron

Where in central VA? You near Richmond, or a more over near Charlottesville?

A couple people from the Richmond area have joined KKF here recently, but I am not sure if there are any/many more tot he west in VA. As Bill said, watch for a gathering in the spring time up in Nova (The East Coast Gathering/ ECG).

Thanx - I will keep that in mind.

Welcome!! You will no doubt be inundated with quality recommendations so prepare yourself to plunge down the rabbit hole!

Great to have you.

Back