A couple Christmas-y things (coupon code)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Loftis

KKF Vendor
Reaction score
Hi folks. We're starting to gear up for Christmas, so wanted to put a few things out there.

1) I've got about 4,000 lbs of offcuts that I'm going to turn into some more mosaic boards and also some 14 X 20 X 1 3/4" edge grain cutting boards. I know that many of you have been after me to make more mosaic boards, so I'm going to start a big batch of them this week. Please feel free to email me if you are interested in one and if you have any particular specifications you're wanting. I think I'm going to do a couple 'border boards' with mosaic borders and either solid maple or walnut interiors. We'll see how that comes out.

2) I have around 50 'seconds' right now in stock that just need sanding and oiling. These are boards that either have some kind of cosmetic defect or, more commonly, that are comprised of strips of wood from multiple panels. I call the latter 'Frankenboards,' and they are structurally fine; it's just the wood grain doesn't match/flow perfectly throughout the board. I generally mark manufacturer's seconds down by $20-$80, depending on how the board looks. If you are looking for a good butcher block at a discount, please email me. I'll be happy to finish up one or more for you. It's a pain in the butt to photograph and upload each board; so I'd prefer not to unless I have to. I have a nice 16 X 22ish brick board and a nice 18 X 24 border board right now, on top of the usual suspects.

3) I haven't done any real price comparisons recently, but I suspect after the first of the year it's time to make some adjustments. I haven't had a price change in almost 3 years. That doesn't mean everything is going to go up, universally. I'll look at things and evaluate where we need to be. I'd really like to figure out a way to do 'free domestic shipping,' if possible. Of course, free shipping is an illusion, and shipping costs just get rolled into the price of the item being sold. UPS rates are going up yet again in January. Butcher blocks are heavy and shipping is expensive. We also paid a bunch of money this year to have custom foam corner blocks made for our 16 X 22 and larger boards. Shipping damage on those has dropped to almost zero as a result.

4) We almost never do 'sales.' It always seems a little gimmicky to me. I try to make a premium product and sell it for a fair price. I think for Black Friday this year, I'm going to do a deal where I throw in a free Board Butter (8 oz) for every purchase over $150. A little lagniappe never hurts, I guess. I just created the coupon code. It's live now through December 10. I am horrifyingly bad at websites, so PLEASE email me if the coupon code doesn't work for you. Code is: freeboardbutter2017

thanks!
john

Cyber Monday updates... we got our first batch of mosaic panels glued up over the weekend, so hopefully we'll have boards ready later this week.

I'm also going to do a 'cyber Monday' deal on our walnut butcher block, knocking off 10% or so. I don't have a huge amount of lumber, so will kill the deal if and when I start running out. Feel free to communicate this elsewhere if you'd like. This will be usable with the board butter coupon code as well.

I have 3 more 16 X 22 walnuts, so left that particular size on sale for a couple more days.

Latest posts

Back