• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shinden Suita

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Reaction score
For your consideration is a large Shinden suita at approximately 190 x 90 x 30. 1560g with the base. I purchased this stone from MM as part if a large lot. This stone was raw and unflattened. I have got it almost completely flat except for a very small portion of one corner. You can see some remaining pencil marks in the pics where it is not quite there.
mako5IU.jpg

097Q5Ax.jpg

It is about a 3.5 in hardness and makes black slurry very quickly beginning with just water.
Nc5L8bh.jpg

d7oGGEa.jpg

It provides a semi mirror finish on the hagane. With water only, the stone is not very muddy and is streaky on the cladding. Kicking up a little slurry solves this problem and leaves a nicely contrasting and even kasumi.
XfbYsXB.jpg

GwvHpXm.jpg

This stone does have some small inclusions. You can see the black spots on the stone, this is swarf that has settled into the inclusions. I can't feel them when polishing bevels and they probably aid in the stones speed. They do, however, occasionally release a crunchy. This is not very common and it seems a soft stainless cladding is affected more readily than iron. In any case, a quick rinse will remedy the problem. As I said before, I have just barely got the stone flat and have not used it much, but I just sharpened two knives on it for these pics and didn't experience any crunchies.
In short, this is a useful stone and would complement someone's collection. Because of the issue stated (which might disappear with a little more lapping) I can't feel good about asking what I have in it. As a result, this stone is a steal at $100 shipped CONUS.

Back