Best tool for Stock Removal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
I'm shopping for some stuff, and I wanted input. What non-bench tool best fits the job of removing tons of steel, period?

Anything over $100 is out of the question, just not in the budget. I obviously won't turn down an idea that is $15.

Here's the need: People keep giving me knives to repair and I don't want to rub and rub and rub until I get past the gouges, dents, and broken tips on any decent(read:expensive) stone. I want something that will clear steel like a brush fire clears grass, no suave or grace needed. I don't want it to heat up the steel, or wear out quickly. Obviously, I'd get a Kalamazoo or something like it, but I live in an apartment, and can't run tools like that. Also it would kick up a crazy amount of particulate steel and that's not cool for my family.

So criteria broken down:
-removes steel quickly
-will not wear out in a month(except for an inexpensive part, perhaps)
-does not heat up steel significantly
-not shop equipment
-under $100

So, DMT XXC? Atoma? Dremel tool with some kind of special bit? I am really open to any suggestions. I just don't want to get an Atoma and find out that I'll murder it in 4 months of hard use, it's a little spendy for me.

i think a diamond benchstone is going to wear out quickly. my Beston 500 removes steel pretty quickly.

The DMT XXC will not wear out quickly if you do not bear down on it with all of your weight. If you let the tool do the work and are patient, it will remove a lot of material quickly. It is a mean, rude beast, butt with consideration on your part it will get the job done.
Alternatively, you can get an angle grinder from Harbor Freight for around 15 bucks, butt you will need to use it outdoors. And acquire a new skill set!

not bearing down with all your weight takes the fun out of it.

+1 for the XXC. I bought mine on Amazon two weeks ago and when I just checked on the current price, it's gone up by 40%. :eek:

if you are talking about cheaper fibrox and german type knives a diamond plate might be a good idea....i fixed a tip on a friends paring knife at their house in literally seconds.....ryan

you need a KMG :)

i ahve a big DMT hone in 600-1200 grits and it moves steel fast
not sure how the 500 works as i have never had a stone that low

Oh I will be getting a KMG, but a move is in order first. City life is getting me down.

Back