Which sacuier size?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifolini

Reaction score
Hello, im investing in a new saucier, and wondering which size i should choose. I will use this primary as a sauce pan(bechamel, bearnaise etc)
Which size would be good for this, i cook for 1-2 and 5 person, so i need one small enoguh to make for 1, and big enough for 5

demeyer atlantis vs all clad?

I'm working on same question and have been dropping Xmas hints for a Faulk. If I own one piece of copper it will be a saucier.

I have a 2 qt all clad and a 4 qt winners(forget the brand) copper saucier. I prefer the all clad one between the two as I rarely make more than 1 qt of sauce at a time I also find managing temperature and evaporation a lot easier with the smaller all clad. Unfortunately I have no demeyer stuff to compare it to, although I have heard amazing things about the brand, I contemplated them both but all clad stuff goes on clearance a lot more frequently, so in the end it won out. I don't even think I paid $200 cad, making it a really good value.

So if u were to make one portion of bearnaise, would be around 100-150ml of liquid i belive, would that be too little for the 2qt pan?

So if u were to make one portion of bearnaise, would be around 100-150ml of liquid i belive, would that be too little for the 2qt pan?

I do all my hollandaise based sauces with a metal bowl so it doesn't really matter what size saucier you use presuming you can fit the bowl above it, you can defiantly do becamel and veloute based sauces with a two quart pan, if I was to try and do hollandaise on a burner(it's been done) I tend to reach for my smallest sauce pan 1qt(perhaps) and take her super slow, although I defiantly prefer a double boiler method.

But would 2qt be too big for making sauces too 1 and 2? should i get a 1.5qt

I got a 20cm Mauviel cuprinox windsor pan. Big enough for bearnaise for four people. I don't own a rounded saucier pan.

But would 2qt be too big for making sauces too 1 and 2? should i get a 1.5qt

You can make less sauce in a bigger pan but not more sauce in a small pan. 2qt is just fine.

I agree with daveb. If you're going to spend that much money, get copper. The advantage of copper over other materials is most noticeable in sauce making, where temperature control is crucial. And I'd go 2qt, myself.

Hmm i see, then its copper for me. So would 24cm, 3qt be way too big? i see on sale now and really want, but 3qt, dunno really how big that is.

S40320.jpg

20816018927543p

This is the 1.7 saucier in the same line of Mauviel
Just for a visual comparison

Back