Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which kind of water do you use on your tennen toishi?

Which kind of water do you use on your tennen toishi?

Some weeks ago I was reading some advice not to use tap water or chlorinated water on our jnats. Is that a real problem?
    In that case, what do you guys suggest we use then? Some distilled water maybe? Suppose there are no ponds or bodys of water available nearby.

Thanks for your answers!

When I'm in the city I use water from my Britta filter as city water is known to be full of stuff (chloride, iron, bacteria, etc). When I'm in the country the water is sourced from a natural groundwell and filtered so I just use that. Never had any issues.

I think using really hard water or really soft water (PH levels) would not be fun as it would mess with your swarf

I go to a river up a nearby mountain before sunrise with a hinoki bucket and collect the water I'll use that day. I keep some Japanese bamboo charcoal in the bucket to help keep the water pure.

Tap water too.

Wonder what folks in Flint Michigan use

We have unfiltered well water and I use that.
    -Kit

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    I go to a river up a nearby mountain before sunrise with a hinoki bucket and collect the water I'll use that day. I keep some Japanese bamboo charcoal in the bucket to help keep the water pure.

Tap water too.
    ha

Tap water too.
    LMAO

Tap water too.
    While this could be good enough for your Chinese naturals, I hope you don't insult your JNATs with that fluid. Only tears of virgins can be considered pure enough for a proper sharpening session

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    While this could be good enough for your Chinese naturals, I hope you don't insult your JNATs with that fluid. Only tears of virgins can be considered pure enough for a proper sharpening session
    In that case I'm gonna guess there aren't many proper sharpening sessions going on around here...
    Oh wait, you mean we can customize our signatures?

I import water from Kyuto springs.