Which kind of water do you use on your tennen toishi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some weeks ago I was reading some advice not to use tap water or chlorinated water on our jnats. Is that a real problem?
In that case, what do you guys suggest we use then? Some distilled water maybe? Suppose there are no ponds or bodys of water available nearby.

Thanks for your answers!

When I'm in the city I use water from my Britta filter as city water is known to be full of stuff (chloride, iron, bacteria, etc). When I'm in the country the water is sourced from a natural groundwell and filtered so I just use that. Never had any issues.

I think using really hard water or really soft water (PH levels) would not be fun as it would mess with your swarf

I go to a river up a nearby mountain before sunrise with a hinoki bucket and collect the water I'll use that day. I keep some Japanese bamboo charcoal in the bucket to help keep the water pure.

Tap water too.

I go to a river up a nearby mountain before sunrise with a hinoki bucket and collect the water I'll use that day. I keep some Japanese bamboo charcoal in the bucket to help keep the water pure.

Tap water too.

ha

Tap water too.

LMAO

Tap water too.

While this could be good enough for your Chinese naturals, I hope you don't insult your JNATs with that fluid. Only tears of virgins can be considered pure enough for a proper sharpening session

While this could be good enough for your Chinese naturals, I hope you don't insult your JNATs with that fluid. Only tears of virgins can be considered pure enough for a proper sharpening session

In that case I'm gonna guess there aren't many proper sharpening sessions going on around here...:rofl2:

@icanhaschzbrgr Most methods of making them cry are highly and justifiably discouraged these days, so expect a price hike.

I just do this.

[video=youtube;4NCsdPQEKqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NCsdPQEKqI[/video]

Tap water too.
[emoji23]

I perferr the tears of innocent toddlers. Much more reliable and consistant. Virgin tears are only effective after puberty when the temptation sets in. 3 fake batches in a row was enough.

Complete misunderstanding. There is a german loanword hidden in there. A Tennen-Toishi is a whetstone designed to be used in the rough environment of a barn's threshing floor, it should get along fine with whatever lubricant would have been available in such.

Back