Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need your thoughts-150mm petty shootout

I would go with the Toyama but they are becoming harder to find

+1 Toyama

The edge retention on his Blue #2 is unbelievable, holds a delicate 8-10k edge for months and months on my daily driver gyuto. PM steels will hold a 85% edge forever, but I find well heat treated Blue to stay "sharp af" (95-100% sharpness) for a LOT longer than well heat treated PM (Takamura R2/SG2)

Quote Originally Posted by ob-gym View Post
    +1 Toyama
    Plus I wouldn't get royally screwed on shipping to Canada from JNS like I would with JKI and some others. Probably going this route. Thanks!

Just to update this thread. I've chosen the Watanabe stainless clad blue steel 150 petty from his pro line, but without KU. I asked for the option of a polished blade face.
    Will be placing my order with Shinichi in the coming days. Will post pics when I receive it down the line.

Thanks to everyone who shared their opinions! Greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by StonedEdge View Post
    Just to update this thread. I've chosen the Watanabe stainless clad blue steel 150 petty from his pro line, but without KU. I asked for the option of a polished blade face.
    Will be placing my order with Shinichi in the coming days. Will post pics when I receive it down the line.

Thanks to everyone who shared their opinions! Greatly appreciated!!
    Mine is Ku (my only Ku knife). The Ku finish is very smooth and looks good. I didn't actually realise there was an option to polish it off. Even so, I am very happy with the Ku.

Ive been using the knife a fair bit lately to destem chard and kale. Performs well and edge retention not an issue so far (home use).
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I didn't actually realise there was an option to polish it off.

Performs well and edge retention not an issue so far (home use).
    Neither did I but I asked him in our email exchanges and for a nominal amount more he said he'd do a polished version.

That's good to hear regarding edge retention. I'm excited to receive it whenever that may be.

Sounds like you already made a decision, I will add that I’m taking a hard look at hinoura stainless clad AS pettys. Tall blade good edge retention, stainless clad and nice grind.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Sounds like you already made a decision, I will add that I’m taking a hard look at hinoura stainless clad AS pettys. Tall blade good edge retention, stainless clad and nice grind.
    Don't throw any more suggestions at me! This decision was difficult enough and I'm terrible at making decisions

Seriously tho just looked it up and it would definitely jive with my needs. Maybe next time