Blue #1 allure

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I rarely see Blue #1 being used, and have read somewhere that it is a particularly challenging steel to work with, which could be the reason behind this (??).

I recently sold my Mizuno suminagashi gyuto, which had a Blue #1 core. It has wonderful feedback on stones and to be honest, I kinda miss it! With each stroke on the stone, I can almost “feel” the edge being refined under my fingers. It’s strange, in a very good way.

Which got me thinking... what other Blue #1 gyutos have you tried and would recommend? Is it consistently this “magical”, or is it just in my head? Or maybe it’s only Mizuno-san’s Blue #1?

You should try a blue1 honyaki. It'll redefine special for you.

Why?
Why would you sell your Mizuno Suminagashi?!

Sorry, that's all I've got on this.

You should totally pick up another one.

Ikeda for sure, not sure who else. JKI had Hide Blue #1 honyaki offerings but I think they are not being made for now (no guarantees on this statement)

I've had several knives in Blue 1 including a couple of gyutos from Zakuri. Some good. Some not so good. I really think the magic is in the maker more than the steel.

Having had identical kono blue 1 and blue 2 blades side by side, there is no way you would ever know the difference. Either in cutting or sharpening. Perhaps someone who has worked for years in forging or sharpening the steel, but a layman..... no.

I was under the impression that blue 2 was a more expensive steel in its raw form and less reactive. Of course doesn’t mean that what was said earlier doesn’t still apply.

The cost years ago was negligible, not sure what it is today. Some makers there is little price difference in the two and some there is massive increase in blue 1. Not sure why that is? AS is supposed to be a better steel than both and it’s sometimes cheaper!

Wait, you SOLD your Mizuno in Blue #1? A blade you actually enjoyed using?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥

ok.....ok....wait........

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Haha... yes. I am addicted to honyaki these days. Maybe one day..

Wait, you SOLD your Mizuno in Blue #1? A blade you actually enjoyed using?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥

ok.....ok....wait........

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Back