Entry level gyuto for gift

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumke

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on stainless gyutos ~210mm or so, under $200. I was thinking the Gesshin Stainless ($135) or the Itinomonn Stainless ($175). Any other opinions out there?

It's a gift for someone that doesn't have any j-knives. I'm trying to avoid full carbon, but stainless cladding could be an option w a carbon core. No need for bling, but decent fit & finish is a must, they aren't going to be rounding off choils or thinning blades.

(and yes, I know there's a questionnaire)

if willing to go 190cm (good size for a sizeable home cook population) consider the Tanaka VG10 damascus with red handle. Metalmasteer has the cheapest offering on eBay (had some in stock recently but they don't last) or his website, I think K&S also carries them. I bought one for my mom from MM off eBay and it's a pretty neat gift under $100 that looks good and cuts very well.

OP, you really can't go wrong with either the Gesshin or the Iti. both really great for the price

At that price range, many alternatives depend on wa or western handle. Looks like you're looking for wa?

I'm flexible between wa/yo, more so looking for the right balance in the blade. I'm pretty sure he'll be taking it to a sharpener (who uses waterstones), so longevity is probably a bit of a factor as well.

In this case, to ask the question is to answer it. You don't need any further assistance on this post.

Back