New small gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi
I took some heat earlier for my small gyuto thread's, well i thought id update a little. I ended up ordering two custom knives, one a 180 still in the works and this 150 from Mike Davies, Mike let me select the handle etc and is sending this work of art to me today. Its a 150 with Mike doing a custom handle in Buckeye burl with ebony ferrule and red spacers. I wanted a larger handle on the knife and I think this looks killer, cant wait to try it out.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/munky2/?action=view&current=2011-11-03_00-22-36_436.jpg

Alan

Good call, let us know how it performs.

Thanks guys! Here is another pic of it. Steel is .075 15n20 tool steel. Like 1075 with 2% nickel.
2011-11-03_12-00-03_459.jpg

Small = normal, reasonable, of a useful size. As opposed to "the bigger the better". Sort of Honda vs. Chrysler . . .

That's a good looking blade mike,nice score welsh:thumbsup:

Good call Alan! Certainly can't go wrong with that one.

Hopefully you get it soon and tell me how it works!!! Enquiring minds want to know!

Mike

Nothing in the magic post box yet

Hopefully Monday, i got a Gesshin 2000 from Jon so that should be a great stone to finish the edge.

Alan

The shape and size are similar to my Carter 5.4 sun funayuki, which I find very useful.

CarterFunayuki.jpg

I expect you will enjoy the gyuto.

OK

Finally retrived the knife from the post office.

It looks good in the pictures, in reality it is stunning. Mike and I discussed the handle at length and the result is awesome. There is an almost rock like depth to the Buckeye burl that is striking.

The balance is on the ferrule which seem perfect for a smaller blade with a longer handle, ive just used the knife for preparing a chicken madras and the first big impression is that feels like an extension of the hand it just seems to glide through things very easily. Im not a pro chef so I dont know the stresses of cutting all day but what struck me immediately compared even to my 6 inch Twin cermax was how natural Mike's knife feels, its just easy to cut there is no extra effort. There is enough depth on the blade to avoid hitting your knuckles on the board, it just feels good as it goes through chicken and shallots.

The biggest thing is that it feels light but also well balanced and substantial at the same time if that makes sense, sort of like holding a high quality wine glass, it feels right.

Ive been on a journey for a year or so from Henckels to Shun to MAC to now having a couple of good standard knives to my first custom, there is no way to go back !!

There is a 180 gyuto on the horizon and im starting to feel that bigger knives are just not that necessary for the home cook, yes its very impressive to pull out a 300 mm gyuto but does it work as effectively as a little beauty like mike's petty.

Im delighted with this knife and I want to thank Mike for all his work, hes a great guy to work with and was incredibly patient with my decisions on what materials etc. I know there are a lot of good makers on here and I far to inexperienced to make any comparisons, what i can tell you is that if your in the market for what Mike is doing I would 1000 % recommend working with him.

Alan

Alan,
I am super excited that you like it! I really busted butt on that knife, and a lot of things finally came together for me with this one. I am always a little anxious when a knife goes out, hoping i captured what the person was looking for, sounds like it got it right for you :) It really was one of my favorite knives to date. May it serve you for a lifetime :)

Mike

Mike, I looked at the pic again, and by my judgement (based only on the pic), you made a beautiful and great looking knife. The profile is awesome, and the handle is a stunner!

Thank you Lefty! I really appreciate it! I really enjoyed making this knife.

Back