(Watanabe) Mioroshi Debas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbusby1

Reaction score
Anyone used one of Watanabes standard line mioroshi debas? I was thinking of getting it just because I wouldn't mind a rougher F&F for less than half the price of his professional line, especially for a deba.

Also interested in how people feel about using a mioroshi deba vs. a true (hon) deba. If you've used both I would love to hear your thoughts/comparisons!

I have a bunch of Wat debas. The standard line are a bargain if you don't mind the inferior F&F. You'll have some extra bevel flattening, etc. to do for your initial sharpening but it is a minor inconvenience for the savings. One thing to note about the standard line is that his offerings are generally white steel only whereas the pro line is available in white or blue. The handles are not as nice on the standard line either. You can get them upgraded if you wish but I find the handle upgrades a little expensive and the standard will get the job done anyway. Deba vs mioroshi is an often asked question with no clear answer. I prefer using true debas but the mioroshi gets a lot of use. What kind/size of fish do you typically break down?

Most often 14-16" trout but sometimes doing larger (18-36") redfish, drum, cobia, flounder, bass, jack...

Do you think white/blue matters with Wat? I generally prefer white steel but have only used Wat in blue and maybe he does it better in blue???

Some of those inshore species have pretty heavy bones. I’d probably grab a standard Deba but you could well get by with a mioroshi. A lot depends on technique and sharpening. Give it a try. You may find it works well for you. Worst case scenario is it doesn’t work for you and you sell it. The secondary market is usually strong for Watanabe. Good luck!!

Miorishi.. I prefer the 240 over the 210 anytime.. has more heft. The 210 was no joy to me

rgds z

Speaking of the standard line, is it only possible to order the individual standard knives listed or can one order other individual standard knives as well?

Latest posts

Back