Arizona Desert Ironwood Burl Ingots

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
At the knife show a fellow walked up to me and asked where do I have the Desert Ironwood Ingots. I knew what he meant but I played it dumb. So I answered "What in the h*** are you talking about?".
He answered, "You know, the golden colored, ironwood burl. The really good stuff."

I had to tell him that there was only one block, I mean ingot left. I also told him that there was some waiting for me back at the shop that I would list on my website after I got back from the show.

These are the ones that were waiting when I got back.
They are pretty expensive, but while I am re-stocking my webstore they are on sale along with everything else. So now they are almost affordable, at least less expensive.

Click on the photo to go to the webstore to see what is still available.

ACK!!! SPUTTER, CHOKE... (gasp.. weeze.. flutter...) your killing me...

Hey DC, you a masochist, opening this thread? ;)

Stefan

Almost pulled the trigger a few times... I really must stay away or my wife will pull a trigger :p

one block looks long enough for straight razor handles... :Ooooh:

I've been looking at these, too. I'm trying to decide if I really love the yellow color...

:tongue4::drool::censored::surrendar:Darn you Mark Farley!!!! :rofl2:

Wow, Thats the good stuff for sure!! Have to fight the urge!!! :sad0::helpsos:

I've been looking at these, too. I'm trying to decide if I really love the yellow color...

My favorite is the gold with darker lines.
Lately there have been a lot of requests for the gold stuff. Nobody seems to be looking for the darker stuff anymore.

DC and Stefan
In a short while there will be a thread showing the amboyna when I cut it up.
It is ok to open that thread because they won't be for sale yet. I will still have to send them to be stabilized. The sapwood has unusual fine black lines all over.

It's almost a shame to cut that amboyna piece up... But I am sure it will make great blanks. I was at Danny's shop in HNL last week, and he has about 5 tons of amboyna, that can really make you think impure thoughts ;) But yours certainly stands out, Mark.

Stefan

It's almost a shame to cut that amboyna piece up... But I am sure it will make great blanks. I was at Danny's shop in HNL last week, and he has about 5 tons of amboyna, that can really make you think impure thoughts ;) But yours certainly stands out, Mark.

Stefan

Most of Danny's will need a few years before it is ready.
Last I got from him had a moisture content in the upper 20s.
To buy wholesale he offered it to me at $20 a pound. I passed.

Most of Danny's will need a few years before it is ready.
Last I got from him had a moisture content in the upper 20s.
To buy wholesale he offered it to me at $20 a pound. I passed.

Yeah, he does get carried away with his prices occasionally, thinking top ebay prices = wholesale... My advantage is that I can pick and choose when I am there. But I just passed on the b&w ebony he has, most larger pieces had cracks already and that didn't make me very hopeful. Well, I layed away one smaller piece to try it out... And I did cut up a few small pieces of his amboyna into blanks a while ago, hoping they will dry a bit faster that way. It's difficult to get below 14% out here anyway, but so far I no problems with that. His satinwood is really nice, though, but also may need a bit more time.

Stefan

Back