Walking boots

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Looking for a new pair of boots. I'm mainly used to hiking boots... currently have Sportiva, Salewa (x2) and Vasque but all are soft sole and meant to be used in the woods. I'm looking for something similar (waterproof, comfortable, durable) but want to be able to put in some good mileage on pavement without destroying them. Don't mind some good traction as I'm living in Maine and expect to be able to wear them with spikes, again just not with the soft sole material. I also have Muckboots and Sorels so not worried about super insulated or dealing with super nasty conditions. Should mention that I put in pretty good mileage and some brands I've owned in the past just haven't held up too well.

I'd like to keep it under about 200usd though there's no real set limit...more into comfort than style but open to whatever.

Any thoughts appreciated.

China,

We bought these for my son a year ago and they have held up well. https://www.rei.com/product/706762/asolo-fugitive-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

After several weeks of smaller walks around the neighborhood he wore these for the Boy Scouts Alonzo Stagg hike which is 50 miles in under 20 hours. He finished in 15 hours and his feet were in great shape. He also wore them to Philmont while hiking Itinerary 32: http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/filestore/philmont/camping/2017itinerary/Map/map_2017_32.jpg This is mostly rocky trails and they help up very nicely. Many of the adult leaders in his troop have worn them for years and recommended them so once we found out they were a comfortable fit we were done shopping.

Highly recommended boots!

May seem simple, but I learned the hard way walking downhill in boots. Go at least a half size up. I lost both my big toenails with my normal 11.5 size. Now I buy size 12.5 room for my toes downhill with the lace up not loose at all.

How far are you from Freeport?

I find the Bean boot comfortable for quick trips, not enough ankle support for a long day. They have some higher end product but boots to me are a definite try before you buy thing.

I've had a pair of Solomons for like 6 years I've worn a thousand times. Still wash up like new.

I've had a pair of Solomons for like 6 years I've worn a thousand times. Still wash up like new.
Yup! There's a reason SOF members wear Solomons into war zones across the globe and seldom have to change them. Tough as nails, lightweight, well designed. Lasts forever.

I've worn Asolo boots for many years. The first pair I wore everyday for almost 10 yrs before the soles separated. I think I'm on the 4th pair at the moment. One the best things about these boots is zero break in required - simply amazing to experience. But even though they're tough, long lasting, and comfortable from day 1 I'm thinking about trying something else out next time and that's for the one big drawback these boots have shown me - they're the worst on ice/snow that you could ever experience short of throwing some oil down ahead of you as you walk - yeah - that bad!

I'm considering Lowa for the next purchase but the price is a lot higher ($200 more!) and I'm concerned with the ice/snow grip since their soles appear to be the same thing used by Asolo. Big gamble at $400.

Oh I'm late to this thread. My feet have very high arches so I need footwear that is wide and flexible at the ball. I've been wearing Keen for about 15 years and I'm continually impressed with their footwear. In winter I wear the 'Summit County'. They are comfortable - no break in, rated for -40, breathable and waterproof, grip well on snow and ice and the sole clears efficiently. They also fit well into about every snowshoe I've tried. On milder days and during spring and fall I wear the Keen Targhee II - most of the same properties as the summit except the heavy insulation but it a walking/hiking shoe style. In summer I wear the Keen Newport H2 sandal. Comfortable, great sole and amphibious. Keen have been around for a long time and prices have dropped over the years. I got my last pair of winter Summit County for about 120$. The previous pair lasted 7 years.

Latest posts

Back