Australia??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The GF and I are going for almost a month, visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Cairns, Hobart. Would love recommendations for restaurants, ideally those where KKF'ers are involved..

And if any KKF'ers would like to get together for a drink, I may be able to slip her clutches for a couple of hours :)

That's gonna be awesome! I'm sure there'll be heaps of recommendations soon. But I could ask around too. Just brace yourself when buying a beer. [emoji389]

How are you getting around Aus? Driving or flying? Will you have access to a car in each city? We are a very urbanised country (a big city ineach state containing 80-90% of the state's population). A lot of the country regions also have nice restaurants (and are obviously an hour or two drive from the main city in each state) and are well woth seeing (open disclosure- I live in the country so obviously I think it's great).

I'll let member chefs speak for themselves.

Are you looking for specific recomendations about which tourist spots to visit or which restaurants to try In each city?

Have a look at the Good Food Guide: https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out...ll-list-of-hatted-restaurants-20160909-grcms1
It might be worth considering picking ip a copy of the guide if you are on a culinary tour.

Just brace yourself when buying a beer. [emoji389]
Because of the price or the quality?

It's true that the mass produced commercial stuff is crap but there is a lot of really good stuff from small breweries.

Alcohol in Aus is taxed mainly according to alcohol content which I guess could make it more exxie than people are used to. The exception is wine, which has its own special tax. But still some very good wine around for not too much:

https://www.winecompanion.com.au is a great resource.

You are missing the nation's capital? What a shame.

What is your duration in each location?

Yeah it was. Lots of things to do plus great wineries in less than 30 minutes.

Plus drive to Melbourne via your neck of the woods, and rutherglen 😀😀😀.

And i reckon Canberra has more quality fine dining restaurants per capita then the major cities. . And they are more reasonably priced, generally, as well.

In Adelaide everyone I've spoken to whose been says Africola is a must, same for Franklin in Hobart.
In Sydney you should check out Continental Deli, KKF member Messy Jesse is the chef there, not sure if Jai is still at the boathouse on blackwattle bay, but it is probably one of the best places to sample our local seafood.

There's many options in Sydney & Melbourne I can narrow it down a bit if you let me know what type of food, budget and where you're staying.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

In terms of things to do... in Sydney (hunter valley) or Melbourne (Yarra Valley or Mornington Peninsula) are great wine areas that are within a day trip if you can organise it.

Are you staying in the CBD area?

In sydney hop on a ferry across to Manly for the day. Great ferry ride and nice place to spend the day.

As for food places, I shall leave to others that live in those areas... Though in Melbourne I love No. 35. On the 35th floor of the sofitel. Good food and a great view.

Back