Quantcast
I need some advice...!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice...!!

Exclamation I need some advice...!!

So i got a job offer today. Been through two interviews and a tasting. Then salary negotiations. They offered me a good amount to be the Executive Sous. But the problem is their benefits package compared to what i get now stinks. $1400 a month just in health insurance for the family plan vs my $500.

Since i'm doing corporate my hours are manageable. PLus 1 week vaca vs my 4 weeks(i know i kinda have it good). then there is the 401k. None vs some.

What should i do. I'm seeing more room for growth and opportunity for creativity with the new place, but I'm not single and i love seeing my family. Plus after th deductions it more of a lateral move monetarily. My wife says no matter what i decide she will support me.

Am i being complacent by considering not taking the position... or am i being realistic in wanting a life outside of a kitchen?

As chef and cooks that do you think?

As a bench jeweler, when I had the job change thing come up I went with what I felt would be the most satisfying work environment, with the best opportunity for creative growth. All other considerations evolved afterwards and I ended up with more than was apparent initially.
    As Joseph Campbell said, "follow your bliss". It worked for me.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Thanks spike for the words.
    I don't want to get stuck in the "comfortable zone." But then I do have a family to think of. If i was single it would be a no brainer.
    As of now it feels like the present job situation would be most satisfying as a family man. Both jobs offer me the creative out put... each to their own extent.

The new job would be more satisfying as a chef. That is the my rock and hard place.

I used to take more risks when i was younger, but once i got married and had kid my priorities changed a little.

The problem with the "follow your bliss" admonishment is that is does not really allow for all of the different forms of bliss. Being there for your family happens in a variety of different ways. When you look back on how you spent your life, what will you see? What sort of role model will you have been?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I did the corporate chef thing a while back.The compensation was great,nice benefits,vacation time etc.But after 5 years I'd had enough.The more they give,the more they want(like most corporate).Too many bosses that stifled my creativity.Don't get me wrong I don't regret a thing.Don't do it just for the $$,do it cause you love it.

you are right on the money with that one Shankster.

But my creativity is not being stifled as of now. The actually let me buy whatever equipment i need/want up to a certain limit of course. But like you said the more they give the more they want. I seems like they want a new menu for every freaking function we do. Like the 50 different menus (not menu items) that are in the system are not good enough or something. PLus they want a 2 week cycle on my dessert menus for the dining room. By the time i train the staff on how to do the desserts, i need to change it. hahah.

maybe i should go the Chef Colin route and open restaurant of my own again.

Any investors out there want to spend some money on a young chef that isn't too pretentious and knows his niche in the market??

i guess it was worth a try.

-Joe

I hope you don't think I'm trying to dissuade you from going the corporate route,your experience might be way different from mine.My situation was different.I didn't have a family to support so it's easy for me to say 'don't do it for the money".
    Like I said.i don't regret it for a minute.Met some great people and made a sh@tload of money.But at the end of the day I wasn't a happy camper.Best of luck with whatever choice you make.

Peter

Peter and Spike.

Thank you both for different perspectives on the subject. I hope i make the right choice, whatever it may be. I think i need a tums... my stomach is turning just thinking about it.

Just me, but I would not take a job with just one week vacation. Sounds like more negotiating is needed???

I've asked similar before, but what does a typical executive chef earn? Ballpark?

+ Reply to Thread