Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do your handles darken?

I have a knife from Pesky right now where the darkening is definitely due to hand grubbiness. If you've ever seen how I work with my knives, you'd know that isn't going to be the source. The darkening is very consistent on the entire handle. For example, my DTITK (cocobolo) is now almost black unless you look at it under a nice, bright light, then you see all the reddish and hazel tones. I hadn't considered the UV but since my windows block almost all of it and never hit the knife area directly, I am fairly certain that is not the case.

I have seen darkening on a number of oily natural woods like rosewood, ebony, snakewood, Lignum Vitae, as well as on Arizona Desert Ironwood. As Del pointed out, it's due to exposure to the sun light and air.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I have a knife from Pesky right now where the darkening is definitely due to hand grubbiness.
    So just to clear....you're saying that Pesky has grubby hands?

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I have a knife from Pesky right now where the darkening is definitely due to hand grubbiness. If you've ever seen how I work with my knives, you'd know that isn't going to be the source. The darkening is very consistent on the entire handle. For example, my DTITK (cocobolo) is now almost black unless you look at it under a nice, bright light, then you see all the reddish and hazel tones. I hadn't considered the UV but since my windows block almost all of it and never hit the knife area directly, I am fairly certain that is not the case.
    I don't know what to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    So just to clear....you're saying that Pesky has grubby hands?
    The knife handle does not lie, Dave.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Don't worry Pesky. I just shot a knife off to TK with bacon grease and egg yolk all f*cking over the handle.

My favorites handles are the stinky fish ho jobbies.....yikes!

Nice...

Yah, from swarf...

I am meticulous with just about everything in life, but I am a messy sharpener. I am usually standing in a puddle of water, with swarf up to my elbows...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Yep, at least all the natural wood ones do, the stabilized wood ones to a lesser extent. Especially the rosewoods (cocobolo, king wood, Honduran rosewood etc.) darken quite a bit to an almost black-red.

Stefan