Looking for Recommendations for a knife "set"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmbaker82

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a recommendation on a set of knives to get for my parents. Total budget is about $250. They will not need too much. I am thinking a Chef knife, Paring knife, Serrated knife for cutting tomatoes, and possibly a bread knife. A nice addition would be a set of steak knives (4 maybe 6 at most) and something to store them in. I know the budget is not there for a great set but we are upgrading from some really old mismatched never taken care of likely from a dollar store knives. This does not have to be a single set, piecing it together would be fine as long as we stick to the budget.

Probably the most important characteristics I would look for a sharpness and edge retention. The likelihood of them being properly sharpened as often as they should be is about none. Though they will be hand washed.

Knife Use: Home, no particular grip
Knife Maintenance: will acquire a recommended cutting board, but sharpening would likely not happen often or skillfully.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like my parents. Are we related?

I bought mom a Suisin Western Inox Gyuto. (She had a Henckles "tomato" knife and was not giving that up) She likes it, it looks good on the wall and is a better cutter than she's had before. And when I visit I use it. They also offer a paring knife within thhis line. Tojiro makes a decent bread knife and is available from Amazon. It makes little sense to spend much on steak knives unless you have stupid money. With BF sales you should be able to pick up some Wusties or other brand on the cheap.

http://www.korin.com/HSU-INGY-210?sc=27&category=280068

Thank you for the suggestion. from what i read the 8a steel it is made drom dulls quickly. Do you find that to be the case? if so what would be an option that stays sharp longer

Back