Quantcast
Low cost Kiritsuke
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Low cost Kiritsuke

  1. #1
    Senior Member welshstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    474

    Low cost Kiritsuke

    Hi


    Is anyone aware of a lower cost Kiritsuke, they seem to start at around $500+ does anyone make a good version in the $200-$300 range ?

    Alan

  2. #2
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,385
    Are you referring to true single bevel kiritsukes or kiritsuke gyutos? If it is the latter Konosuke does a fairly cheap one in white and HD steel, I've also seen a few Moritakas which seem quite popular. If you are talking about true single bevel kiritsukes I can't really help you, but at the same time a lot of single bevel knives are expensive for a reason. Some knives you don't wanna go cheap on. If it's single bevel kiritsukes you are talking about are you sure you really need one? They're pretty specialised

  3. #3
    Senior Member welshstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    474
    Not really sure, just investigating thyings and trying to get a feel.

    In terms of actually needing it, not at all, this is strictly a vanity purchase

  4. #4
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    794
    +1 to everything Steven said.

    There's a 270 Yoshihiro on ebay for about $400. Also check out A-Frames - he's got a good selection.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,661
    Over on the "website that cannot be named", there's a 27cm Doi kiritsuke for $359.95.

    Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Hi


    Is anyone aware of a lower cost Kiritsuke, they seem to start at around $500+ does anyone make a good version in the $200-$300 range ?

    Alan
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

  6. #6
    Senior Member welshstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    474
    missed that one, that is a pretty knife

    Looks very reasonable for $400

  7. #7
    Senior Member Keith Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Are you referring to true single bevel kiritsukes or kiritsuke gyutos? If it is the latter Konosuke does a fairly cheap one in white and HD steel, I've also seen a few Moritakas which seem quite popular. If you are talking about true single bevel kiritsukes I can't really help you, but at the same time a lot of single bevel knives are expensive for a reason. Some knives you don't wanna go cheap on. If it's single bevel kiritsukes you are talking about are you sure you really need one? They're pretty specialised
    For what purpose is the kiritsuki specialized?
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    For what purpose is the kiritsuki specialized?
    It's somewhat of a crossbreed of usuba and yanagiba, sometimes referred to as "multipurpose knife".

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    ... They're pretty specialised
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    It's somewhat of a crossbreed of usuba and yanagiba, sometimes referred to as "multipurpose knife".
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    For what purpose is the kiritsuki specialized?
    They specialize at being multi-purpose.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    353
    Multipurpose in Japanese knives is pretty damn specialized in the Western setting.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts