JNAT flattening question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJDedge

Reaction score
From Maxim I bought a JNS 300/800/6000 set and a natural hideriyami stone...
I flatten the 800 and 6000 with the 300
Can I use 300 to flatten the hideriyami stone?

I personally dont like putting a synthetic to a natural. I would recommend an Atoma 140 for flattening all those stones. You could probably find a deal on one right now if you look around.

I agree with dwalker the atoma 140 works great on all my jns synthetics.

Atoma 140 to flatten everything, as dwalker said.

Use a natural nagura to condition the surface of your Hideriyama after flattening.

Enjoy your new stones!

What does everyone use on Jnats after flattening, to prep or "finish" the surface for actual use? Wet/dry sandpaper? A higher grit stone? A higher grit atoma plate? Would love to hear some opinions

What does everyone use on Jnats after flattening, to prep or "finish" the surface for actual use? Wet/dry sandpaper? A higher grit stone? A higher grit atoma plate? Would love to hear some opinions

Sometimes another Jnat. most of the time i dont bother. dont feel/see any difference

Sometimes another Jnat. most of the time i dont bother. dont feel/see any difference
That makes sense to me... Can you use any j nat to finish the surface of another jnat tho? Let's say using Ohira Uchigumori to finish the surface of an Aiiwatani (or vice versa) or does the difference in hardness between the two stones affect this in any way?

That makes sense to me... Can you use any j nat to finish the surface of another jnat tho? Let's say using Ohira Uchigumori to finish the surface of an Aiiwatani (or vice versa) or does the difference in hardness between the two stones affect this in any way?

I always use my smaller ohira renge suita on everything although i only have a few jnats. 2 ohira aka renge, 2 ao renge, 2 uchis. I suggest to pick one that has the closest grit to your main stone. But i have used an aizu before on one of my ohiras and never encountered any problems so dont overthink it :)

This seems to be the most valuable info regarding jnats
Agreed.

I usually use a natural nagura to lap a stone before use or a 400 diamond plate. The 140 is for flattening. I have used full sized naturals against each other for lapping. A 140 and 400 diamond plate should take care of all your flattening and lapping needs respectively. I have found that very fine naturals benefit from a finer lapping prior to use than a 140 diamond will provide. I have not found that lapping much finer has made a difference for me. If I'm looking to kick up some slurry, the 400 diamond plate is my preference.

Agreed.

I usually use a natural nagura to lap a stone before use or a 400 diamond plate. The 140 is for flattening. I have used full sized naturals against each other for lapping. A 140 and 400 diamond plate should take care of all your flattening and lapping needs respectively. I have found that very fine naturals benefit from a finer lapping prior to use than a 140 diamond will provide. I have not found that lapping much finer has made a difference for me. If I'm looking to kick up some slurry, the 400 diamond plate is my preference.

I've been looking for this explanation. Thank you so very much

Back