Toyama vs Watanabe (generally and for a 300mm Sujihiki)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jljohn

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a 300mm Suji, and the Toyama looks fantastic. If it's anything like the 270mm Gyuto I recently bought, I imagine it will be an amazing slicer. But, I don't own any knives made by Watanabe, and I hear they make very similar blades (owing to, I'm told, their teacher--student relationship). That got me wondering, when comparing Toyama to Watanabe for any given knife, which would you choose, and why? Are there any generalized ways in which they are different? Thanks!

I've owned the Wat suji and have used the Toyama. If they were not engraved, I don't think I could tell them apart. If I were to choose one over the other, I would lean toward the Toyama only because he is of an advanced age and may retire anytime. Shinichi is a younger man and presumably his wares will be available for some time.

My 300mm Toyama suji is one of my most used knives. It's brilliant. I have not tried a Watanabe, but from photographs they look quite similar.

I have both the Toyama and Watababe 240 gyutos. As the others have mentioned, the grinds, profiles, and performance are nearly identical. The only real difference that I could tell between the two is that my Watanabe seems to have a little less back belly at the heel. It’s not really noticeable visually, but I can feel a bit more of an abrupt stop when push cutting near the heel section.

I've owned the Wat suji and have used the Toyama. If they were not engraved, I don't think I could tell them apart. If I were to choose one over the other, I would lean toward the Toyama only because he is of an advanced age and may retire anytime. Shinichi is a younger man and presumably his wares will be available for some time.

See and I would probably go with Watanabe because of the the rapport built by dealing with him so many times. I guess that is simply sentiment though.

I mean...Shinichi will become super old and retire eventually ;)

I mean...Shinichi will become super old and retire eventually ;)

I guess I don't get the logic of collecting something before a smith retires. Sure, if you want to try that smith because his work is unique that is fine. But simply to collect, meh.

I guess I don't get the logic of collecting something before a smith retires. Sure, if you want to try that smith because his work is unique that is fine. But simply to collect, meh.
I know what you mean and I feel similarly.

Back