These knives are art

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus
Reaction score
20171129_154227.png

I know this is old, but I just stumbled upon it today. The list of knifemakers is interesting. KKF may scoff at one of them tho. :D

Since I'm late to the party can someone fill me in? o_O

HAdn6OD.png

Because of the utilitarian nature of knives, it's a shame that viewers of the exhibit weren't able to handle the knives—shouldn't have been an issue, since the show was by appointment only. Having them in frames is just plain silly—these aren't priceless artifacts! This is not art, but finely crafted tools.

I actually think her knives could be more suited to a show like this. I don't know that anybody here that has used one, so maybe they're freaking great performers, but I am skeptical of that based on photos of her knives. I do think they are an interesting modern folk art re/upcycling kind of thing. I am tired of seeing farrier rasp knives though.

Her knives are not my cup of tea, and the sexy marketing on her instagram is a bit over the top for me. However, if her knives inspire her customers with cooking or an interest in knife collecting, that's a good thing. Whether or not I like the look or functionality of her knives, I do respect anyone that dedicates their days to handmade knives. Also, kudos to her, for being one of the few women in the craft.

Are the standards so low just because she is a woman? I don't think that's fair to women as there's no comparison to someone like Haley DeRosiers who holds her own against any of the best knifesmiths out there.

Are the standards so low just because she is a woman? I don't think that's fair as there's no comparison to someone like Haley DeRosiers who holds her own against any of the best knifesmiths out there.
Exactly what I was thinking. Plus, to me, she's doing both artisan knifemakers and female knifemakers a disservice by positioning herself as a custom knife maker of the highest order (according to her prices, IMO). Her knives are art in that they should be looked at and not used functionally (have you seen those "grinds"!! eek)

How she constantly ends up on knifemaker lists with people like Nick Anger is beyond me...if someone with zero knife knowledge were to pick up an Anger and use it, then pick up a Miller and use it, that person would surely think *** and possibly (POSSIBLY, I realize this would be a gross generalization) equate female makers with less than perfect products.

Just my .02$

FWIW when I first started getting into knives I googled female knifemakers. Not a whole lot of them out there, and of the few that are, the work is priced beyond what I would consider as reasonable for that quality. So to me, it seems more they are playing off of their rareness more than off of their skill, and that doesn't sit too well with me.

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I am at the point where I can look at a profile and know there's something wrong with it for my use as a kitchen knife.

So yea, gotta be honest here - not too thrilled with how most female knife makers have positioned themselves so far. Not really that surprised though. Just as certain things tend to attract mostly men (knives) all of the women I know who make things with their hands do not work with wood or metal.

I think her success is more, or at least as much to do with her capacity to manage her publicity effectively, and the intersecting geographic and cultural milieu in which she finds herself works very much to her advantage, and good for her.
I mean, if nothing else, her designs are definitely (figurative) balls to the wind "I made this!"

Yes I think she's onto something....I can just imagine every knifesmith having to have a sexy instagram now haha...looking forward to the annual smiths of the ABS calendar

Chelsea could be my next ex-wife:groucho:

Just imagine the awkward conversation with her:
- Hun, what do you think of my knives?
- ... (Looks away in the distance, trying to figure out some BS. :D )

Back