Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife storage/block/Saya

Knife storage/block/Saya

Im getting a set of knives next year for my birthday and need some ideas about storage. The knives will be used everyday and are:
    Parer, Petty and 240 Guyto. (I might go for a shorter Guyto as well, depends on my bonus or not)

Its going to be on a kitchen island so I will view it from different angels. However Im not sure how what kind of block/storage I want.
    Im looking for storage that is not wall mounted, nor any drawer solutions.

Anyone have some cool ideas?

One idea I have is to have sayas on the knives and make a storage like Salty got. Here is Korin: http://korin.com/Wooden-Knife-Stand-3pc

Anyone got some really good ideas?
    Only for 3-4 knives.

Sagaform used to make this block. Perhaps a custom woodworker could duplicate it with only the slots you need/want:

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Hit up Mr. Rader, get him to make you this bad boy:

Storing knives in sayas is more appropriate when you carry them around, or store in a drawer, then have them displayed.

I personally like the display rack similar to Korin except better designed and from better woods. It serves its purpose - displays your knives (san-mai, damascus, crazy patina, etc) while in a block all you see are just the handles. Also, it helps you visually check your knives if you live in high-humidity environment. I don't like countertop models, as an unintentional bump might make your knives to hit the floor.

I am not big fan of magnetic strips anymore.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Some nice suggestions here.

However Im not fan of displaying alcohol in my house. I rarely drink alcohol, and almost never hard liquor like tequila or whisky. Were are more and more into pure water here And Im no fan of magnetic solutions either.

The reason I like the korin idea is that it looks cool and have no magnetic holders. Marko: So you mean you can store knives on them without sayas?
    How will a stand like that take 3 or 4 different sizes?

im not a fan of magnets at all when storing knives even for a short period of time.

that being said, if you are going to travel with them at all, go for the saya's and if you are going to keep them at home, i would go for a nice block. finding a cool block whether its an in-drawer one, custom made, or mass produced is entirely up to you.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    ... So you mean you can store knives on them without sayas?
    Yes
    How will a stand like that take 3 or 4 different sizes?
    A rack can be made so it accommodates long and short (and in-between) knives.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I can't say I care for the knives, but I thought Schmidt Brothers Cutlery blocks were interesting.

http://schmidtbrotherscutlery.com/knife-blocks

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Why do Germans think Chefs knives stop at 8 inches yet the Japanese seem to think they start there ?

What is the core thought process ?