Just for Fun: What type of knife knut are you?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I (try to) explain to non-knife people my passion for knives, I invariably have to simplify it so (1) they can understand what I am talking about and (2) I don't scare them off.

After doing this recently, I got to thinking about the different types of knife knuts.

You have your sharp-edge knuts, your steel freaks, professional knife (ab)users, product tester types, craftsmen/knifemakers, the foodie who wants the best sh!t...and more I am sure.

Of course, these categories are just made-up and probably a bunch of crap, but we all came for different reasons.

I was a foodie who wanted to learn how to sharpen knives. My first post (@ KF) was about getting an edge pro or going with stones.

k.

Minimalist dilettante. I tend to go as big as I can in a hobby and then continually strip down until I have exactly what I wanted and needed in the first place.

I started wanting edge retention then I got into sharpening, then steel (where there is too much variation and uncertainty to really learn much without a lot of investment) then tinkering and testing where I currently sit. My friends have long decided I've lost touch with reality. I can't say I disagree.

We are all just crazy, hopeless, and knuts.

I would put myself in two categories: Sharp I like things sharp - Foodie who wants to have good stuff to cook with (knives - pans - pots - plates - everything)

oh yeah... i forgot the foodie thing. i probably belong there, too. and the gadget thing... i have a vitamix, after all.

Started out as a sharp edge nut, then moved into master piece knife nut, then buy a lot of expensive JNAT and sharpening nut, then buy old crap and fix it myself nut which made me a wood and tool nut. Added all together I beleive I have covered all aspects of madness and consider myself just a nut. Plain and simple.

hahahahahahahahaha :tongue: :spin chair::tease::groucho::knife::yammer::help4:

DarKH:shocked3:EK

I am a kife maker knut. I love the challenges associated with making all you picky people knives :D I carry a knife everyday and I like sharp stuff. I guess I am an artistry knife knut.....if that makes any sense....

I think as I got older and started a family, most of my hobbies kinda got sidelined.... knives are great way for me to combine a hobby that I can be passionate about, with my work, and not have to invest extra time taken from my family.

It appears I have more stones to play with than knives. If funds were no problem I'd want to try different makers and steels , but right now I am minimalist with several very good IMHO knives.

oh yeah... i forgot the foodie thing. i probably belong there, too. and the gadget thing... i have a vitamix, after all.

A VITAMIX IS NOT A GADGET! -It's a piece of kitchen machinery! It's one of the only things in my kitchen that runs on electricity and has a permanent home on my very valuable counter space.

I don't know how well I fit into a category either. I have an EP, but also some water stones and a Jnat.... I have some super PM stainless and some hand-forged carbon, I have some $50 knives hanging right next to some $1000+ knives. When I have shop-space of my own I will probably end up making handles and eventually blades. I also really love cooking and mastering new knife techniques / old techniques with new knives. I don't think that there's a box in this category list that I wouldn't check.

+ 1 to what Jack and Mac said. BUT, sometimes I feel like a knut. Sometimes I don't.

Completely over the edge. In less than three months of participation in this group, I have bought two knives and several more stones, and have three custom knives on order. I am out of control. Help!

Keith

Completely over the edge. In less than three months of participation in this group, I have bought two knives and several more stones, and have three custom knives on order. I am out of control. Help!

Keith

+1*10^infinity

A VITAMIX IS NOT A GADGET! -It's a piece of kitchen machinery! It's one of the only things in my kitchen that runs on electricity and has a permanent home on my very valuable counter space...
Hey, I agree with you but back when I asked about best blenders, someone called me a blender snob. Just trying to be senstive. Oh well... :D

@Keith: I'm sure there are many here who would be more than happy to help you! I'll get things started. What are you looking for in your next knife?

After an initial phase of excitement and impulse-control problems I have calmed down in the past few years, recognizing that my abilities and my budget put a limit to this hobby. Still a very interested observer, more of function than of steels or the quest for ultra-sharpness, still a very mediocre sharpener (who doesn't enjoy sharpening all that much), but also (mostly) content with the middle class knives I have. Started making handles to make some of them look purtier but you guys keep ripping them out of my hands, so I still haven't rehandled all my knives, yet.... :)

Stefan

I'm just a simple guy looking for an razor's edge strong as an axe. Haven't found yet. But till now, there wasn't a single day I sharpened without learning something.

Keith

Hold on tight, it only gets worse (or better as per your perspective) from there!

I'm totally ate up with it - consumed. I'm very lucky to be able to play with other people's knives because I'd have a BIG problem if that wasn't the case.

Almost 6 years ago I told my boss to shove it(after working there for 14 years) and went full-time as a maker. I have been obsessed with making sharp things for the past 25 years.
Del

Over-analytical cheapskate. I'm poor and discerning.

This.

I love the functionality of a well designed and constructed knife. I especially love knives that don't cost much but punch way above their weight.

Oh, and I am starting to feel a little funny about having five knife blocks and worry about storage. If there were more of a market (in Australia) where I could off-load some of my lesser-used knives then I would buy a lot more.

To borrow Chad Ward's phrase, I am looking for anything that will give me an edge in the kitchen, whether it is a technique or tool. Knives and knife skills, have made the biggest difference in the quality of my food.

Jay

Back