Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife recommendation ideas

He said he likes vg10, but its probably from using someones for a day. He's not an insider at all...i think he just liked using a knife that is harder than henckels.

I've never used one, but how about the Blazens in sg2? It also comes with a saya. A while back I gave a knife to a pro chef as a gift and remember considering a Blazen, but haven't thought about it since.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I just picked up a Blazen parer, pricy but very nicely finished:

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Carbonext is nice but it might not be tough enough. It isn't chippy but it's not anywhere near as tough as German steel, imo. The handle is also on the small side. I would have suggested Misono moly (tough, large handle) if it wasn't so ridiculously expensive but maybe that's where he should be going...
    My thoughts exactly regarding the Misono. It might be the best option for him, though. I've been fortunate enough to handle some amazing knives and the Misono holds its own. Man, did Misono ever drop the ball with jacking up their prices....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Sakai Yusuke Swedish Stainless Western - softer and tougher (HRC58-59) than the CarboNext, has a bit of belly on it and can be maintained with a ceramic rod. And they have impeccable fit and finish. Factory bevel is 50/50 but they will respond to thinning also.

And then there is also the good ol' standby: the Tojiro DP. I fondled one of these earlier this week - I was impressed with everything about it. I don't really feel what peeps say about the blocky handle, either.

Personally, I have never seen a bad one but I am sure they are out there. BWJ on ebay could hook you up with a nice one - Keiichi would never knowingly send out a dud knife.