Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Martell Knife Blanks: WIP

It wasn't a perfectly smooth process. I made a couple of errors of which I had expected at least a couple but I caught them in time and made adjustments. I can't say for sure what my favorite moment was but definitely when that handle was fitted and I put a couple of coats.of tung oil on the handle, it was pretty exciting.

is there going to be a pass around? man i would love to grind my own blank, i bet it would be one hell of a cutter! hehe

Dave, you should offer some smaller blades too. I think 210s and 240s would sell, and would be a little less work to finish. Probably very little less but still...

Great work guys, I wish I had the skill to attempt something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barmoley View Post
    Dave, you should offer some smaller blades too. I think 210s and 240s would sell, and would be a little less work to finish. Probably very little less but still...

Great work guys, I wish I had the skill to attempt something like this.
    Agree that smaller blades would be good to offer.

But... don't think you need skill to attempt this. Just enthusiasm and desire. Having guidance and tools helps too. Skills will develop.
    "Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind." L Cohen

my progress. 220 vertical scratches. s ground with ferric chloride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6402.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	38216

THIN

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Sorry I didn't have a chance to post a description. I ground it whisper thin. Dave gave me one directive before I started: You know what you like. Go make it. So that's what I did. I got a good bit of advice and encouragement from him and Trey from Comet Knives. I had the blade done before the Holidays but had to wait for the time to make a handle. I felt obligated to make my own handle for it and located some bocote and buffalo horn locally.
    Holy cow that knife is thin! Not even many Japanese smiths go that far down. I did it once by hand on a cheap softsteel knife just to see how far I could go. It's still in regular use for all sorts of stuff but mostly for cutting chicken breasts. Food release is pretty bad though. How is yours in cutting? Tried some thick carrots yet? Should be super on those.

So far it's really nice. Ive been testing it on various veg. Release is pretty good. Time will tell as to how well it holds up. But honestly, I expect it will take a couple sharpening sessions before it settles into it's true sweet spot. Since I'm the one using it, I'm not too worried about it. I don't think I'd make anything this thin for anyone else. The balance point is where you would want it to be and I'm happy with the handle. I modeled it on the handles on the Suisin IH series. It feels exactly as I had hoped it would.

dat looks good livengood, tell us how it cuts!