Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Martell Knife Blanks: WIP

Food release

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    So far it's really nice. Ive been testing it on various veg. Release is pretty good. Time will tell as to how well it holds up. But honestly, I expect it will take a couple sharpening sessions before it settles into it's true sweet spot. Since I'm the one using it, I'm not too worried about it. I don't think I'd make anything this thin for anyone else. The balance point is where you would want it to be and I'm happy with the handle. I modeled it on the handles on the Suisin IH series. It feels exactly as I had hoped it would.
    Anything in particular you think contributes to its good food release?

Quote Originally Posted by cheflivengood View Post
    my progress. 220 vertical scratches. s ground with ferric chloride.

Grind looks excellent, good job so far!

Quote Originally Posted by merlijny2k View Post
    Anything in particular you think contributes to its good food release?
    I left it pretty much full thickness at the spine, or fairly close to it and ran it down to very thin behind the edge. That's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    For the handle, I've got a nice little block that I bought ages ago from a mill when I was buying boards for furniture. Can't remember what it is at all! Anyone know? Its def a native Aus species. Will try and arrange it with yellow (sapwood) on the bottom of the handle.

Looks like Tasmanian Blackwood to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Looks like Tasmanian Blackwood to me.
    Thanks BS. I've made a few things and have some furniture of Tasmanian Blackwood - I actually always bring home blackwood and Huon pine when I go to Tassie - and this is much much heavier and denser... Also the colour may not be clear in the picture, but it is redder.

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    Thanks BS. I've made a few things and have some furniture of Tasmanian Blackwood - I actually always bring home blackwood and Huon pine when I go to Tassie - and this is much much heavier and denser... Also the colour may not be clear in the picture, but it is redder.
    In that case it is probably one of the arid region acacias. You have a lot of really dense woods there in the acacia family. Probably one of the acacias in the mulga family. It looks like there will be some nice curly figure when you sand and finish the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    In that case it is probably one of the arid region acacias. You have a lot of really dense woods there in the acacia family. Probably one of the acacias in the mulga family. It looks like there will be some nice curly figure when you sand and finish the wood.
    Exciting - can't wait to finish it and see how it comes out.

Well - after several more afternoons in Kippington's garage - pretty much done - just oiling up now! This is actually not the block from the photos above, I cooked that one on Kipp's grinder. It was Mulga (as IDd by Burl Source) but fortunately I found a little more. This handle is made just with hand tools - a saw rasp and a diamond file:

That looks great!

Thanks Dave - other tools I needed for the handle were a hacksaw (to cut the pins) and a 1.5mm chisel to cut the excess epoxy off the front of the handle. Will show more pics when it's all done.