Christmas Gift!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromo33333

Reaction score
Our future son in law is very much into cooking and has never had a nice knife!

Heh heh heh.

Looks like a simple 240mm Tojiro could be in his future!
Any other suggestions?

The JCK house brand stuff is good quality and reasonably priced. Bought one for my brother and sister in law for Christmas.

Plus you can get one with some flash in it then 😀

ooh! JCK house brand looks awesome!!

I'm trying to stay under $100-ish for the gift (he's not YET family ...)

I've gifted a couple Tanaka VG10 damascus 190 western handle gyutos from MM and it's been a big hit both times. Their awesomeness is a new conversation every time I see those guys. I've promised a life long free sharpening with the knife too.

Forgot to mention that it usually takes about 2 to 4 weeks to get stuff from MM and there's no communication. the shipment jus appears one day. My knives has always come in three weeks. Something to take into consideration if you go that route.

Aus-8 is not what I would consider a high end steel.

Back to topic :

Can't go wrong with tojiro, but if you are looking for beautiful + performance then JCK house or tanaka look good to me :)
Have you ever used any of Jon's knife? At the price point we are talking you aren't really going to get a high end steel... more like a good to great HT of the lower hardness steels or your VG-10 Aus-8 types...

The Gesshin stainless range is aimed at people new to thin knives, and Aus-8 at 59ish HRC is used because it has some toughness.

Back to the intent of the thread... if you can stretch then the Gesshin stainless... or JCK has some decent options at around the 100 mark as I said.

Have you ever used any of Jon's knife? At the price point we are talking you aren't really going to get a high end steel... more like a good to great HT of the lower hardness steels or your VG-10 Aus-8 types...

The Gesshin stainless range is aimed at people new to thin knives, and Aus-8 at 59ish HRC is used because it has some toughness.

Back to the intent of the thread... if you can stretch then the Gesshin stainless... or JCK has some decent options at around the 100 mark as I said.

Did I mention that the Gesshin stainless comes with a saya? Toughness is good for a first j-knife, no fun to baby it—best to put it to work!

Yes, it's over budget but I also suggest the Gesshin stainless as a great J-knife intro. Wife loves it and the F&F is impeccable. The saya may entice too. Despite not being a glamour steel, AUS-8 seems to be quite good - too early to speak of edge retention. The Tanaka VG10s also seem to be good value but the handles don't appeal to me. Their aogami/blue #2 blades take a wicked edge but are possibly too reactive for someone new to J-knives. Also, your original thought of a Tojiro DP is not without merit.

Our future son in law is very much into cooking and has never had a nice knife!

Heh heh heh.

Looks like a simple 240mm Tojiro could be in his future!
Any other suggestions?

I suppose it also comes down to what personal preferences your future son-in-law might have—i.e. should it be a utilitarian chef knife based purely on performance or have a certain amount of bling factor. Japanese or western handle? Low maintenance or will he take good care of the knife?

The JCK hand hammered, Damascus knives have a distinctive look that many like. They do have an Xmas sale going on now.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...ck-natures-gekko-gyuto-180mm-to-240mm-3-sizes

Tojiro DP
Fujiwara FKM
Gesshin Stainless
JCK Hammered VG-10 and CarboNext
All decent choices for you to consider.

I too really, really like the Gesshin wa stainless at its price point. Great suggestions.

My suggestion would be video games, vr headset, speakers, tablet, watch, smartphone, liquor, weed and lapdances. These are all things that would be much more appreciated than a new knife.

I have also discovered that people appreciate nice cutting boards as gifts a lot more than the cutlery they use on them.

C Doom, When (if) I get married again, you'll be getting an invite.[emoji41]

Don't need the viddo games.

If OP sticks with a knife, the Gesshin Stainless ftw.

Of the knife gifts I have givin over the years, the happiest were the ones that received the Takamura R2 210 gyutos!

My suggestion would be video games, vr headset, speakers, tablet, watch, smartphone, liquor, weed and lapdances. These are all things that would be much more appreciated than a new knife.

I have also discovered that people appreciate nice cutting boards as gifts a lot more than the cutlery they use on them.

A well crafted end grain cutting board is a brilliant idea!

In the price range of $100 originally posted, that would also buy:
—A good sharpening stone
—A deposit and place on a waiting list for a custom knife

Gesshin stainless would be my suggestion along with the other recommendations for it. Tough steel, not mass produced, comes with saya, looks Japanese (wa), not so precious that you’ll cry when someone else uses it and puts it in the dishwasher.

C Doom, When (if) I get married again, you'll be getting an invite.[emoji41]

Don't need the viddo games.

If OP sticks with a knife, the Gesshin Stainless ftw.
Haha I hope you don't mind The Hangover level entertainment. Obviously I will have to bring the Wolf Pack with me.

Back