Quantcast
Still alive - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Still alive

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    I watched it twice the other night, and the outcome was the same both times.
    Kinda like watching the Titanic again. Even in 3d it still sinks.

Finally got reviewed by the new york times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/di...chen.html?_r=1
    Now time to get ready and ride the wave
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

very nice
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy View Post
    Finally got reviewed by the new york times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/di...chen.html?_r=1
    Now time to get ready and ride the wave
    Exciting.

Do you think the review is fair?

Did you spot the reviewer when he visited? Are you tipped off that one is coming?

I hope you see a rush of new business in the weeks and months to come.

Congrats! It made me want to go to NY!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Yeah, we ID'd him each time he came. The night before the review came out Pete Wells called to ask a bunch of questions, almost as if he forgot his dining experience and mentioned "I'm very behind schedule"

I think the words on the review are somewhat fair. I intentionally cook the chicken breast to a beautiful blonde and have made the comment to new cooks, "Do no hammer this breast, the tarragon brine will not shine through and you will overpower the ballontine, cook it to a blonde, not everything roasted has to be as dark as you can get it without burning it, that's just a trend..." The most common comment we get regarding the review is "When I read it I thought it was a two or three star review and was really surprised to only see one star..."

What do you think?

Either way, I've been trying to up people's moral by preaching, "It's time to put your egos aside and start making money, this is a business." Our reservations have been climbing. In the end though, I thought it would be a battle between two and three stars, no one expected to get one. Come in and judge for yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Exciting.

Do you think the review is fair?

Did you spot the reviewer when he visited? Are you tipped off that one is coming?

I hope you see a rush of new business in the weeks and months to come.
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

Interesting (I am not in the business, so have no idea how critics and restaurants operate).

Does someone in the front of the house make it his/her business to know the face of every "important" critic in the city? I assume you then go out of your way to make it a great experience, but do you tip your hand that you know who he is? Does he sit and make notes as the evening progresses? Not sure I could ever describe a meal I have had in a restaurant in such detail if I didn't keep notes the entire time.

I thought it was overwhelmingly positive and was surprised to see only one star at the end (four stars is the max?), however I don't take the Times and don't know how the scale works (I guess one star is pretty good considering his comments).

I would happily visit, but you're a bit out of my neighborhood I'm afraid. Everything looks and sounds great and I wish you continued success.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ouch 1 star. From the write up you would think it would be higher. Did he explain why he gave what he did, other than the write up?

Gratz on the review, hope it gets your phone ringing off the hook.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy View Post
    Yeah, we ID'd him each time he came. The night before the review came out Pete Wells called to ask a bunch of questions, almost as if he forgot his dining experience and mentioned "I'm very behind schedule"

I think the words on the review are somewhat fair. I intentionally cook the chicken breast to a beautiful blonde and have made the comment to new cooks, "Do no hammer this breast, the tarragon brine will not shine through and you will overpower the ballontine, cook it to a blonde, not everything roasted has to be as dark as you can get it without burning it, that's just a trend..." The most common comment we get regarding the review is "When I read it I thought it was a two or three star review and was really surprised to only see one star..."

What do you think?

Either way, I've been trying to up people's moral by preaching, "It's time to put your egos aside and start making money, this is a business." Our reservations have been climbing. In the end though, I thought it would be a battle between two and three stars, no one expected to get one. Come in and judge for yourself
    The way I read it I thought it was a 2 or 3 star review. The scale is 0-4 stars. If you get 0 stars you can also get "poor, fair, or satisfactory" attached. One star is "good" two stars is "very good" three stars is "excellent" and four stars "extraordinary." His major complaint seemed to be one element of each dish wasn't supposed to be there, I don't read that as a "good" restaurant. Two seemed more likely, but hey, you can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    The way I read it I thought it was a 2 or 3 star review. The scale is 0-4 stars. If you get 0 stars you can also get "poor, fair, or satisfactory" attached. One star is "good" two stars is "very good" three stars is "excellent" and four stars "extraordinary." His major complaint seemed to be one element of each dish wasn't supposed to be there, I don't read that as a "good" restaurant. Two seemed more likely, but hey, you can't complain.
    If this is the scale, then I agree with you that the review read like he was describing a two or three star establishment. Hopefully people read the reviews and don't just count stars. Should be good for business I imagine.