Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cookbook recipe challenge thread

Nice, thanks for moving this. I had been thinking about this for a while but I am not yet prepared, gotta go shopping first. I am also not sure that once a week will be realistic, but I will try.

Stefan

Got my first recipe up and gathered, now to get pics and all...

I like the pic of the recipe, I'm also going to add a link to the books I choose for those interested in looking up the book themselves.

Good job on the first entry

Nice clam pasta pics!

Ok, I said I would be doing more than one from each cook book so here is the second dish -- I don't have 52 cookbooks. Bucatini Al Coniglio All'ischitana.

That is spicy tomato rabbit bucatini to those who don't speak Italian, and it was again from the Geometry of Pasta cookbook. The pasta turned out to be one of the best pastas I have ever made, but the rabbit second course was not that great. Essentially, I used very expensive rabbit for a great pasta sauce -- but it was also worth it even though the rabbit was so-so. The meat dish was tedious to eat and the cooking times left it overdone. I have better rabbit recipes if I want to maximize a rabbit dish.

I also was working handicapped. A freak glass-breaking injury sent me to the doctor today to remove glass shards from one of my fingers. I knew I was in trouble when I felt the glass hit my bone.

After the doctor, I wrapped cellophane around the bandage and hit the kitchen.

Once again, I used my Ealy 240/265 gyuto, though I still had nerve blocker coursing through my fingers, so it was way awkward. It is one thing to have a cut that hurts and another not to feel a good portion of your hand. With that said, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Washing protein was the biggest PITA.

So if I were to change this recipe, I would buy half the rabbit in order to half the price and treat it as a sauce seasoning. And at some point I would try to shred the meat from the bone and incorporate it into the sauce. The sauce was amazing. Spicy tomato rabbit pasta just sounds good.

Pictures below.

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	2332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	2333  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	2334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	2335  

"There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

That looks excellent, and thanks for sacrificing yourself inspite of your handicap! I am not a huge rabbit fan, never had it when I grew up and when I finally tried it, it often was dried out or cooked out in a stew. But I do remember a pasta dish with a rabbit ragout/ sauce in a small Italian place that I really enjoyed, this looks very similar.

Thanks for moving this forward. I wasn't feeling great today, went home early and had McD drive-thu dinner. I admit that I am a bit ashamed...

Stefan

I want hasenpfeffer....

Bugs Bunny.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Working to much lol, mine will be up tomorow

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Ok, I said I would be doing more than one from each cook book so here is the second dish -- I don't have 52 cookbooks. Bucatini Al Coniglio All'ischitana.

That is spicy tomato rabbit bucatini to those who don't speak Italian, and it was again from the Geometry of Pasta cookbook. The pasta turned out to be one of the best pastas I have ever made, but the rabbit second course was not that great. Essentially, I used very expensive rabbit for a great pasta sauce -- but it was also worth it even though the rabbit was so-so. The meat dish was tedious to eat and the cooking times left it overdone. I have better rabbit recipes if I want to maximize a rabbit dish.

I also was working handicapped. A freak glass-breaking injury sent me to the doctor today to remove glass shards from one of my fingers. I knew I was in trouble when I felt the glass hit my bone.

After the doctor, I wrapped cellophane around the bandage and hit the kitchen.

Once again, I used my Ealy 240/265 gyuto, though I still had nerve blocker coursing through my fingers, so it was way awkward. It is one thing to have a cut that hurts and another not to feel a good portion of your hand. With that said, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Washing protein was the biggest PITA.

So if I were to change this recipe, I would buy half the rabbit in order to half the price and treat it as a sauce seasoning. And at some point I would try to shred the meat from the bone and incorporate it into the sauce. The sauce was amazing. Spicy tomato rabbit pasta just sounds good.

Pictures below.

k.
    Wow, this is great. I think I agree with you about shredding the rabbit. Also, maybe worth just buying thighs, which can take longer cooking. I like rabbit meat, i find it like chicken color/texture just more tender and with flavor.

I've done a recipe very similar to that except you don't reduce it nearly as much. The Rabbit turned out really nice and tender for me, but the sauce produced probably wouldn't make a great pasta sauce. It goes great on cous-cous though.

I'll be posting soon and this is a challenge for those of us who incessantly tweak recipes as they're written.

Not that I've made it a lot, but over the years I learned it's easy to over cook rabbit, venison and other game meats even when slow braised.