Quantcast
Cookbook recipe challenge thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cookbook recipe challenge thread

The Bacon Cookbook

A version of Coq au vin that sounded good, coq au vin always sounds good to me and this did not disapoint. I pretty much followed the recipe except that I didn't have peppered bacon so I made my but rubbing the bacon in some cracked black pepper to start.

The Bacon Cookbook has allot of great info about and of the society of bacon lovers Not just a bunch of recipes but good info on the world of bacon from all corners of the globe. If you like bacon or just all out love the stuff, this is a good book to get your hands on. My local library has a copy even but they can't have mine...

That looks fabulous. Bacon is good.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Nice pictures DC!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Got ahold of my daughters camera and these where cropped way down lol... /drool...

Mr. D and DChef you're making some great dishes. Is there anything about those particular cook books that appeal to you?

Chicken cacciatore (hunters chicken), braised fennel (I added some leeks), pasta and red gravy, which I made and froze in August and didn't use a recipe. “Adventures in Italian Cooking” was given to me about 35 years ago when I was learning to cook and I still use it regularly.

No plating pictures because I always forget.

[IMG]

Oh no, I'm catching up on KKF a day too late Cooked Pork with 'Salsa Genovase' from Lidia B last night. It's a pork shoulder cooked with a bacon and garlic paste, a little bit of carrot, celery and tomato paste, 7 lbs of onions and some stock. Cooks ~3 hours in dutch oven after initial browning; not much work involved after the initial prep. I took a couple pics of the massive pile of onions, but that was about it. Paired it with cheesy polenta.

DC's chicken w/ bacon looks awesome! And I'd be all over mano's cacciatore.

My books have accumulated over many years, some when I moved out of my folks place and many more after I went to culinary school. What I look for also evolved over time, currently I look for books on very focused topics that have as much info (if not more) than just recipes on the topic. Sometimes I fall prey to the catchy title and cover lol but on the most part I want something more from a cookbook than just a recipe guide.

The Bacon Cokbook... I love bacon and this book has some great info about bacon from around the world. So when you read a recipe from another country and it calls for bacon you can find out what they call bacon. Outside the US what we Americans call bacon is called Streaky Bacon and is always smoked to some degree. Other countries have a different spin on bacon and the dish will be different if you use a different bacon.

My next recipe will be from a book called "Fat" by McLagan, all about fat as an ingredient... should be interesting

That tasty looking fresh pasta by mano might inspire me this weekend, and I have some pesto that I made before the basil froze that will taste great with it.

I have done two more recipes this last week form Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes.

(1) Pasta with Fast Sausage Ragu
    (2) Shrimp in Yellow Curry (recipe on two pages)

I'm going to try a couple other recipes from this book, but overall I am a bit underwhelmed by it. They work great as last-minute meals but the flavors (not surprisingly) are either simple or underdeveloped. Frankly, I would rather spend another 15 minutes to develop some more flavor in each dish. I think it would take playing with each recipe a couple of times to adjust them and find the right balance and adjustments.

Also, for the pasta with ragu I would use a different pasta such as a penne or large/medium shell to hold the sauce better. And on the shrimp recipe I would have upped almost everything (ginger, pepper, curry, onion, and garlic) and added some other spices too.

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1532.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	2461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	2459  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	2460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	2462  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	2463  
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

So busy up till now that I have not had time to get recipes, pictures, and write up done However I have been keeping up on my end lol. Once I get my kids camera back I'll get the pics I just took of a roast I did last night.

Same here. I have done a couple more, but I think I am just going to list which ones I have done and just add pictures to any that I find really good.

On another note, I did register for the free account at eatyourbooks.com, which only lets you shelf 5 of your cookbooks. So I just added 5 and did a search for 'lamb' and 157 recipes came up just in those books. I was pretty slick, and I was able to quickly sort through them and find a good recipe for those lamb stewing chunks I have in the freezer.

k.