Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Warped edge on my tanaka?

Warped edge on my tanaka?

Iíve been playing around with speeding up my technique in the kitchen. After a few days of pretty aggressive chopping it looks like Iíve messed up the edge on my tanaka. What would you call this? It doesnít really look like micro chipping but more like slight bending or warping. I can actually see more just behind the edge than on the edge itself.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yh...RkewuADQ8DCVcW

It still cuts well but Iím also wondering what the best way to fix this is. This knife has an original edge from K&S that I lightly touched up once on a 6000 stone. Can I fix this with just touching up the edge on a medium or high grit stone? Would I be better off if I first thin the whole wide bevel a little and then putting a fresh edge on?

Obviously I'll back off on the aggressive chopping... This knife was doing great over months of regular use. I've been having fun testing its limits but I pushed it a bit to far this time.

If you enjoy it, don't back off

Often times new knives have an oob edge that's not as strong as what you'll get into after a good sharpening or so. You could probably knock that out pretty easy with a finisher but I'd recommend a good sharpening down to a mid grit like 1 or 2k. If you continue to have issues then give a microbevel a shot.

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Thanks! I think by speeding things up I also started chopping with unnecessary force. Quick but precise is my new goal

I'll give it a shot with my 2k shapton. Do you think I need to sharpen the whole wide bevel to fix the warping, or can I sharpen just the edge?

This happened once on my Itinomonn gyuto after a redid the edge pretty thin. No idea how what I did to cause it to bend very slightly but it came out after 2-3 sharpenings

I'd just work on the edge unless you feel like it needs thinning...if it's a new Tanaka then it likely doesn't need thinning. 2k shapton should do just fine.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I'm very surprised that an RC 60+ edge would take a bend-set like that, I've only seen it on real soft stuff. I thinned a cheap blade to 0.2mm and all you have to do is touch a bone or try to cut through cooked turkey leg tendon to dimple the edge. Didn't think that would ever happen on a Tanaka.

Quote Originally Posted by rick alen View Post
    I'm very surprised that an RC 60+ edge would take a bend-set like that, I've only seen it on real soft stuff. I thinned a cheap blade to 0.2mm and all you have to do is touch a bone or try to cut through cooked turkey leg tendon to dimple the edge. Didn't think that would ever happen on a Tanaka.
    Good point.. Generally... Even at 59/60 Hrc it wld flex and then break.. a clean break and it the sides of the broken edge are bent then it is soft. On softer steels it will just bend and if it breaks.. not a clean break with some bend on the broken edge.

Perhaps the pressure was not that hard enough or was distributed along the contact point{s) on the board as opposed to smaller contact with the bone, as mentioned where the force is magnified on the smaller area (?)

...or it was a weak initial edge

There is a murray carter video where he goes over this kind of stuff.
    Why Knife Blades Chip - MURRAY CARTER
    I would check it out.>

I've had a Tanaka blue and a Tanaka Ginsan do this exact same thing on oob edge...after a real sharpening it never happened again with either knife.