Japanese Carbon vs Swedish Carbon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35587

Reaction score
Hi all- looking to buy a carbon sujihiki. I've been reading up on Japanese steel and I was interested in something in white or blue #2, but I also hear the Misono Swedish carbon is great. I have a UX10 chef knife that I love but I'm trying to figure out my best option in the $200-250 range. I was swayed from yanagiba to sujihiki since although I do want to use it for crudo/sashimi, the bulk of its use will be slicing meat. Any information/preferences/comparisons would be very helpful. Thanks!!

You may consider the Masahiro virgin Carbon as well. Much harder steel than the Misono's, not the same Fit&Finish though. No specific information about the Masahiro suji, the Misono has a bit of flex, you may like or not. Both are strongly right-biased, the Masahiro even a bit more I'd say. If that were a problem, both are available with an inverted geometry for left-handers.

Comparing knives based on steel type alone is not a good way to compare them

Looking at just the steel type is a bad way to choose your knife. Heat treat, final finish, handles, etc. all play important roles in addition to blade profiles (and differences between makers making similar pattern knives).

Back