new guy checking in - considering a Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
I'm starting to look for a Santoku with a relatively 'flat' profile, not one of the German chef knife style profile to my kitchen. I also want to stick with an all stainless solution. I'm looking forward to getting moderated so I can start posting in the Kitchen Knife area.

:wink:

Welcome to the forum.

There's a questionnaire in the Kitchen Knife section, if you fill it out you'll get some suggestions that are tailored to your requirement. Mostly.

Welcome to the forums DJ.

Where you from?

What do you like about the santoku profile? Would you consider a gyuto? Santokus can make sense if board space is very limited (for example in a VERY small kitchen) although many on the forums would argue that the gyuto (literally "beef knife" or "cow sword", which is the Japanese interpretation of the Western Chef's knife) is a more versatile profile. Gyutos are commonly available in lengths from 180 to 270mm, but I have seem shorter and longer gyutos. Gyutos are typically a lot flatter than German chef's knives (the profile was originally based on the French chef's knife). Most are a little curved but some are quite flat. Kiritsuke- tipped ("K-tip") gyutos can be very flat.

Great idea to start a new thread and fill out the questionairre.

Edit: Just realised that you have started a new thread.

Edit: Just realised that you have started a new thread.

Yes, it took a little while for that post to be 'moderated'.

A Santoku to me is sort of halfway between a Chinese Cleaver and a Gyuto and is a very handy kitchen knife for most things found in a normal kitchen.

Back