Oh no! My workhorse Le Crueset pot failed.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I’ve admittedly brutalized it. I’ve taken it to max temp cooking bread in it. It’s had a hard life.

TOnight I made Sunday gravy. I gave meals to my elderly neighbors. Washing the pot, I noticed two chips on the bottom. Half moon shaped. Pieces gone and missing. I hurriedly showed the pot to both my neighbors and warned them of then slight possibility of it being in their meal. That’s my main concern. That Sucks! I’m more bummed about the missing pieces than the pot itself. The chips are deep. Right down to the cast iron. I must have knocked them loose with my tongs.

Any good substitutes? Mine lasted 20 years. :(. I need another enameled cast iron Dutch oven for sure.

Just to be clear, you are talking about the ceramic coating?

Unfortunately, you need to catch them on sale to get a decent price, but
if you amortize the price over 20 years :)
maybe you don't worry about it so much.

So, I'd just get another one,
if you think its trashed.

Both Staub and Le Crueset are very good. If you are looking for a 4qt., Sur la Table, Williams Sonoma, and Cutlery & More have the Staub on sale for $99 (black or red only). We just picked one up for gifting. Stores don't seem to discount Le Crueset as much.

Contact Le Creuset to see if they will replace the piece. I dropped a Dutch oven a few years ago and conacted them to see if they would offer a discount on a new piece. They just replaced the Dutch oven. The only problem( if you can call it that) is that they may no longer offer the color you had.

I'm pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty so yes contact them!
They certainly did (maybe still do) advertise a lifetime warranty in Aus.

I had a very similar issue almost a decade ago. The warranty was not honoured. Suffice it to say, I didn't fork out for another one. I can't say whether this is a one-off, an Aussie distributor issue or a worldwide issue. Maybe they just had a different understanding of "lifetime warranty" to my understanding of it.

A much cheaper repalcement has had fairly similar performance and longevity to the Le Crueset in my opinion.

I hope you get a better run from the US distributor.

WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY COVER?
Le Creuset offers a limited lifetime warranty on its nonstick metal bakeware products. The warranty applies from the date of purchase of the original owner, whether a self-purchase or received as a gift. The warranty covers faulty workmanship and/or materials when the product is used in normal domestic conditions and <in accordance with the care and use instructions provided> [see below].

WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY NOT COVER?
Damage caused by normal wear and tear, accident, misuse, abuse or commercial use.

Scratches, stains, discoloration, corrosion or damage to the interior or exterior of the product from overheating, dishwasher use or other misuse.

Rusting of the rim area as described in the care and use information.

Consequential damage is expressly excluded from this warranty.

If you're using metal utensils and chip the inside it seems a bordeline case. Two exclusions are: normal use/ and abuse if done carelessly.
I would still ask and they may help you out--just tread softly--and get them to help you out of respect for their brand.

TOOLS TO USE
For stirring comfort and surface protection, Le Creuset silicone tools are recommended. Wooden or heat-resistant plastic tools may also be used. Metal tools, spoons or balloon whisks may be used, but require special care – they should not be scraped over the enamel surface. Do not knock these on the rim of the pan.

Hand-held electric or battery-operated beaters should not be used. Their blades will damage the enamel. Knives or utensils with sharp edges should not be used to cut foods inside a pan.

You may also want to check and see if there is a Le Creuset outlet anywhere near you. With the exception of a few pieces that's where I obtained most of mine.

Huh, I've been using some of mine going on close to 30 years. Thought the stuff was indestructible!

Mine chipped on the bottom a number of years ago. Not sure why and I did use non metal utensils. I asked Le Creuset about their warranty and was given a long run around proving it wasn't my fault. I eventually gave up but I would not buy from them again. If it was my fault it means the coating is too fragile for normal use in my kitchen. I don't worry about that with my Lodge cast iron.

i'm gonna see if my buddy that owns a huge English Mastiff if he needs a "dog bowl" his beast wont be able to walk around the room while eating :)

i bought the thing at a factory outlet so all bets are off with respect to warranty.

i just hope none of my neighbors swallow the chip..i felt pretty retarded warning them. the old lady next door smirked and said that's why she uses her ancient Griswold dutch for the same duty..i had no response for the win..:)

LeCreuset outlet or try the Zwilling outlet online for clearance deals on Staub.

Remember that the ceramic coating is there so you can slow-cook acidic food...
if you go with something ancient (and uncoated), you're losing alot of utility of le-creuset.

just my $0.02

the black interior of the Staub looks like a win to me. my LC is looking baaaaddd. it's almost black :)

Buy another one on sale. You paid only a little over $10/ yr for yours. They last a very long time, and provide great utility.

It's always a good idea to avoid using metal utensils with them. With that being said, we use metal tongs and metal spoons all the time with ours.

the black interior of the Staub looks like a win to me. my LC is looking baaaaddd. it's almost black :)

This stuff is incredible at cleaning these pans. **Warning - wear gloves or it'll suck your hands inside out.

8481915794607p

All of our LeCreuset is 2nds from their outlet store back when the store was nothing but 2nds. It was so cool to be able to climb through the piles and look for the best stuff...so cheap too. We got this stuff so long ago that (I believe) the color is discontinued. Not a single problem from the cast iron but we did have the enamel come loose from a LC steel stock pot we got at the same place. Never bothered to try for a replacement because of it being a 2nd.

I always liked LC but I'd try Staub now if I was to buy more enameled cast iron. I really like the Grenadine (?) color.

I've got one Staub and a handful of LC. I like both but in the future will likely only buy Staub in the future. Black interior rocks and I kind of dig the dotted lids.

Guess I should splurge on the LC cleaner.

As an asidei like Lodge for the "bowl effect" and wish either Staub or LC would adopt it.

Black interior on my Staub is kind of annoying as it's hard to tell if you are browning or burning the food.

Lars

I agree, I would like something other than black interior to see better. This is a shame because it is really the only criticism I have of Staub. I have about six of each maker and I most often go for one of the Staubs.

Yes, the black interior of Staub isn't the best, but I still very much prefer it over Le Creuset due to the thicker cast iron, better lid, and better colors.

Black interior on my Staub is kind of annoying as it's hard to tell if you are browning or burning the food.

Never understood this criticism of Staub and find it somewhat specious.

Plain cast iron, many carbon steel and non-stick pots/pans have dark interiors/surfaces.

Any cooking vessel has a learning curve and proper usage requires more than just sight.

Never understood this criticism of Staub and find it somewhat specious.

Plain cast iron, many carbon steel and non-stick pots/pans have dark interiors/surfaces.

Any cooking vessel has a learning curve and proper usage requires more than just sight.

UM....This is exactly the reason why you should have bright pans
like copper and stainless around in addition to steel.

Not just for acidic foods, but for much better contrast
when needed to keep an eye on malliard, and also
the better performance of copper/ aluminium conductors.

cast/steel is great and all -- I use it alot but
one is better off understanding the limits.

Not everyone’s thing, but I picked up some reasonably priced used cast iron pieces at https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ or local thrift stores - just check the shipping prices, they sometimes are way off. Nothing fancy, but good enough for the occasional stew or baking bread. FWIW, I love Staub and find Le Creuset really stretching it on the prices. I was in the Alsace last summer, and - fortunately - the Staub factory outlet was closed over a long weekend or I would have had to pay for extra luggage back to the U.S....

Stefan

I contacted once le creuset for a the life time waranty on their product (in Europe). On the phone, I just told them I had a problem with my 2-years-old pot. They told me to send it back wihout asking what was the problem along with purchase documents. I got a new one in my mail 2 weeks after.

Back