Quantcast
Cut Brooklyn: Made by Hand - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Brooklyn: Made by Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I've handled his Prospect line of chef's knives quite a bit. I think that most people would find them thin enough with great fit 'n finish. What people here might not like so much is the belly profile and handle shape as they're both sort of outside of the norm for this group.
    You forgot to mention if the food release nazi's will be happy with the grind

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    You forgot to mention if the food release nazi's will be happy with the grind
    The grind is NOT just about food release!

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    @Dave: I didn't see any "pregnant-looking" knives on his webpage. If anything, I thought the 2/3 of the knife toward the heel was too flat. They look dead flat to my eye.
    That's what I thought was so sexy. I must cut like a weirdo robot because I've never used a knife that I thought was "too flat."

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Yeah, that's what appeals to me about the knife. The tip is high enough with some curve I think it could work fine as a slicer, but the back-end is flat enough and tall enough it'd be fine as a push-cutter. Worth a few hours in the kitchen to experiment, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Why doesn't somebody contact Joel and arrange a pass-around of one of his knives and have folks review it? This would help establish the knife (and maker's) merits and end speculations. 15000hours is a lot of time to put into a craft and should speak for themselves.
    Just did. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone know anything about CTS-XHP or CTS-40CP stainless ?

Engorged Member
    I think Butch Harner is using cts-xhp. I talked to someone who buy and sells steel and he said that the consistency between batches is something Carpenter is working on. -40cp seems like an interesting steel but very expensive for pm 440c, especially with more exotic offerings for less money! M390 though looks like it would make a great core for a san mai blade,IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    ...-40cp seems like an interesting steel but very expensive for pm 440c, especially with more exotic offerings for less money! M390 though looks like it would make a great core for a san mai blade,IMHO.
    440c with a good HT is a nice steel even without the "p." I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be even nicer with smaller carbide size. "Exotic" doesn't make the steel. Not that I'm disagreeing (yet) but what is it about M390 that makes you think it's particularly nice?

This video got mentioned on Bike Snob NYC, here.