Media Cut Brooklyn: Made by Hand

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukas

Reaction score
Nice video...

[video=vimeo;31455885]http://vimeo.com/31455885[/video]

Cool vid.

I think there are more than 4 or 5 guys hand making kitchen knives in the US nowadays though!

Wish we could get a passaround going on one of these. The profiles are interesting enough I'd want to try one and it's American made, but the price is a bit prohibitive without a lot of trusted feedback.

Wish we could get a passaround going on one of these. The profiles are interesting enough I'd want to try one and it's American made, but the price is a bit prohibitive without a lot of trusted feedback.

Yup, +1 to all of that.

+2. Although, I have to say, the design looks promising. I'd bet (less than $500) that they are fine knives. :)

+2. Although, I have to say, the design looks promising. I'd bet (less than $500) that they are fine knives. :)

Why doesn't somebody contact Joel and arrange a pass-around of one of his knives and have folks review it? This would help establish the knife (and maker's) merits and end speculations. 15000hours is a lot of time to put into a craft and should speak for themselves.

Or perhaps an owner would pass-around one of CB knives. The sooner we get to the bottom of this, the better for reputation of the brand.

M

I've handled his Prospect line of chef's knives quite a bit. I think that most people would find them thin enough with great fit 'n finish. What people here might not like so much is the belly profile and handle shape as they're both sort of outside of the norm for this group.

Why doesn't somebody contact Joel and arrange a pass-around of one of his knives and have folks review it? This would help establish the knife (and maker's) merits and end speculations. 15000hours is a lot of time to put into a craft and should speak for themselves...
Good idea.

@Dave: I didn't see any "pregnant-looking" knives on his webpage. If anything, I thought the 2/3 of the knife toward the heel was too flat. They look dead flat to my eye.

I've handled his Prospect line of chef's knives quite a bit. I think that most people would find them thin enough with great fit 'n finish. What people here might not like so much is the belly profile and handle shape as they're both sort of outside of the norm for this group.

You forgot to mention if the food release nazi's will be happy with the grind:lol2:

@Dave: I didn't see any "pregnant-looking" knives on his webpage. If anything, I thought the 2/3 of the knife toward the heel was too flat. They look dead flat to my eye.
That's what I thought was so sexy. I must cut like a weirdo robot because I've never used a knife that I thought was "too flat."

Yeah, that's what appeals to me about the knife. The tip is high enough with some curve I think it could work fine as a slicer, but the back-end is flat enough and tall enough it'd be fine as a push-cutter. Worth a few hours in the kitchen to experiment, at least.

Why doesn't somebody contact Joel and arrange a pass-around of one of his knives and have folks review it? This would help establish the knife (and maker's) merits and end speculations. 15000hours is a lot of time to put into a craft and should speak for themselves.

Just did. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone know anything about CTS-XHP or CTS-40CP stainless ?

I think Butch Harner is using cts-xhp. I talked to someone who buy and sells steel and he said that the consistency between batches is something Carpenter is working on. -40cp seems like an interesting steel but very expensive for pm 440c, especially with more exotic offerings for less money! M390 though looks like it would make a great core for a san mai blade,IMHO.

...-40cp seems like an interesting steel but very expensive for pm 440c, especially with more exotic offerings for less money! M390 though looks like it would make a great core for a san mai blade,IMHO.
440c with a good HT is a nice steel even without the "p." I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be even nicer with smaller carbide size. "Exotic" doesn't make the steel. Not that I'm disagreeing (yet) but what is it about M390 that makes you think it's particularly nice?

Well done video, I probably would have left out the F Bombs as it is his business promotional material.

Production and everything was good on the video, and the knives do look like they have good F&F. It's just funny that someone that makes knives for a living would say that there are only 4 to 5 people making kitchen knives in the U.S. Also, i thought the swearing was cheesy, it didn't even seem natural. Like he was trying to act like a badass on camera. Just my thoughts.

Mike

Production and everything was good on the video, and the knives do look like they have good F&F. It's just funny that someone that makes knives for a living would say that there are only 4 to 5 people making kitchen knives in the U.S. Also, i thought the swearing was cheesy, it didn't even seem natural. Like he was trying to act like a badass on camera. Just my thoughts.

Mike

You have to keep in mind the audience this video was made for. It's unlikely to be you or me.

There are 4-5 A Level kitchen knives makers in the US, he is correct about that, and we all know who they are. The rest are B level and C level makers (no offense to anybody intended) and I can think of one that might be D. To get to be the A level, you have to compare and to test your knives against A level makers. That is the only way. Also, to be an A maker, you have to do all processes in house (heat treating, all the grinding, etc), as this gives you a full control over the outcome. Plus heat-treating is what makes a difference most of the time.

M

I also think he said when he started making kitchen knives, there were only 4 or 5 guys in the States doing this.

i like the movie as well. production was interesting and gave an insight into what he was trying to do without being edgy just for edgy-ness' sake (if thats a word)

only thing, i would be wearing eye protection

I'll be curious to see if anyone gets a passaround put together. I contacted Joel a while back, and while he seems like a cool guy, who appears to know his stuff, I got the impression he was fine with the audience/customers he already has.

You have to keep in mind the audience this video was made for. It's unlikely to be you or me.

There are 4-5 A Level kitchen knives makers in the US, he is correct about that, and we all know who they are. The rest are B level and C level makers (no offense to anybody intended) and I can think of one that might be D.

M

No I don't who's the A-team? I know Bob gets the #1 but out side of him who would your everyday persion know? W.F. Must be on the D- F+ list

Back