Chosera 800 more like a 1000-1200 grit stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sac36555

Reaction score
I’ve heard that the Chosera 800 feels more like a 1000-1200 grit stone. Is this true? If so, what does the Chosera 1000 feel like in terms of grit rating? Is the 800 of 1000 better for sharpening? Is the Chosera 400 true to its grit rating?

It's a very fast stone: I've used it for thinning Globals and carbons before I had coarser stones. All depends on how you use it, with which amount of pressure, mud, water. But the end result will be 1200-like.

From my own experience with Chosera, I feel that they are higher in grit than what it is. So I agree that the 400 is about 600 while the 800 is about 1k - 1200.

I plan on getting a Chosera 400 as my sharpening stone for my German knives and for edge repairs on my J-knives. I plan on using the 800 or 1000 as my finishing stone for my German knives and as my sharpening stone on my J-knives. The question is, should I go with a Chosera 800 or 1000 for this purpose. I’m focusing this stone more as a sharpening stone for my j-knives than the finishing stone for my German knives.

I’ve never used chosera 1k but after doing research around the forum I found that the 800 was much more popular so I went with it. Good luck.

I prefer the cho 800 to the 1k in general. The 800 is a wee bit softer and it is faster at removing metal. It is still fine for its grit rating. I could agree with the 1-1.2k for the 800 and 1.5k for the 1k. At least when compared to other stones that I have used.

Chosera 800 definitely feels more of a higher grit than rated. I pretty much stoped using it since there are plenty of competition in my set. But I might get it for a spin next time, kinda want to use it now :)

I think that it’s been covered but how much pressure you use has a lot to do with how you will perceive grit strength
The 400 is my go to repair stone, just reriffic

Chosera #800 feels like an #800 to me, slightly coarser than the #1000.

Keep in mind that ones impression will depend almost entirely upon which stones are “normal” or standard to you. I started with Naniwa and so all stones and their grits are judged from this point of view.

The Chosera #800 is finer than the Shapton #1000 so keep that in mind.

(Shapton #1000 by Naniwa Standards is #700)

Also, here’s a Chosera–Shapton chart I made for direct comparisons of grits. This chart should help people make more informed decisions when buying between the two companies.(included in the Chosera section are two of Naniwas other magnesia bond stones- the A3 and the Junpaku)

D9247_D99-_F9_B2-4734-94_BC-9_A90_F96_E31_DB.jpg

I think that it’s been covered but how much pressure you use has a lot to do with how you will perceive grit strength

I agree with this which I why I think there is a rarely a consensus as to which stone or progression is best for a given purpose. Everyone's hand is different.

Latest posts

Back